Toyota struggles to stop runaway crisis

Do you think that makes the 12 dead people feel any better?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Not at all. But Toyota is fixing the problem. Wonder if they could have gotten away with printing 2.3 million stickers...

Reply to
Hachiroku

In message , Ashton Crusher writes

Despite the total recall of 8 Toyota models throughout Europe there have only be four accidents sighted and no deaths, and Europe is much denser in population that any part of America that I've ever been to.

Reply to
Clive

Your wording is a little off, but the gist is correct. I think it said "apply the parkig brake if you leave your car idling" or something like that. It dfinitely didn't say the cars were prone to jumping out of park. My parents had Fords during that period and I remember the stickers coming in the mail. We tossed them out since we never had any problems with the transmissions jumping out of park and I don't know wanyone else who did either, but I am from a flat part of the country.

I assume almost all of your text was copied from the Center for Auto Safety, a trail lawyer sposored site. They have a vested interest in trumping up defects. Just imagine what CAS will have to say about Toyotas.......Get back to me in a year and tell me how fair they treated Toyota over this concern. Then think about fair they were to Ford back in the 80's. I bet if it had been Toyotas that were alleged to jump out of park, you would have been sure it was the Customer's fault.

Ed

Reply to
Ed White

My *OPINION* ?!?!?!?!

Wow.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Taking Joe's place, are we?

Even Ford admitted the transmissions could jump out of park at any time.

The 'recalled' the cars by issuing stickers. Wow.

I think it was THE BIGGEST and the most dangerous recall of all time, and it was 'fixed' with a sticker for the dashboard.

Reply to
Hachiroku

There's a big difference between cars that can't be controlled while you are driving them and cars that pop out of park. The Ford transmission problem was no more dangerous then all the cars that were produced for YEARS with automatic transmissions that didn't even have a PARK position but required you to put the emergency brake on.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

My 64 T-bird would easily pop out of park and did so a couple of times. It was due to worn parts in the steering column. Good, new parts would keep the thing in Park but the overall design of the detents was still crap and even after "fixing" it I never trusted it. Many other Ford products used the same design. It required that the lever be "actively" held in park, the stuff in the transmission seemed to naturally want to force itself out of park and the stuff in teh steering col prevented it from doing so. A much better design would be where the "active" effect is to keep it in park and require you to pull it out.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Reply to
Hachiroku

Except that with the PARK position people stopped using the EB and over

300 were killed...
Reply to
Hachiroku

Which is why sending them a sticker was an appropriate "fix".

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

In message , Ashton Crusher writes

It's not a fix, it's a warning that the vehicle could (and frequently was) dangerous. A fix is to correct the fault so that the danger no longer exists.

Reply to
Clive

Well, it was one of the cable news stations again today: a tape of someone calling into 911 saying they couldn't stop their car and were about to approach an intersection.

So basically they have time to call 911 and complain to an operator but aren't smart enough to shut their damn car off or put it in neutral, and the media aren't telling people to do this.

Reply to
bwala kulusu

They kind of are, they just aren't spoonfeeding it to the Sheeple.

"MY CAR"S OUT OF CONTROL!!!!"

Anser should have been, "Put it in neutral, dumbass..."

Reply to
Hachiroku

In message , =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_$B%O%A%m%/(B?writes

Common sense doesn't sell papers, only made up storys to titilate or sensationalise.

Reply to
Clive

"Made up story"?

Take a look at Fox news' web page. They had the 911 call for a while.

A lot of news sources had the call.

Reply to
Hachiroku

In message , =?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_$B%O%A%m%/(B?writes

Be honest, Fox news isn't exactly unbiased. We here in the UK have a fair amount of our press and satellite TV from Murdock, we also get Fox News via satellite. You've also shot yourself in the foot by saying that "A lot of news sources had the call" Now only one call was made, why would many news sources want it apart to sensationalise?

Reply to
Clive