Insteqad of pissing and moaning, "john" how about doing something useful?

Sent to NBC Nightly News:

With all the reports on Toyota's stuck accelerator problem, no one has really said a lot about how to control the car if it does get away from you. These are common-sense rules for handling a Toyota recently on recall, and general rules for any car on which the accelerator is sticking:

  1. If the accelerator sticks in an open position, do not try to free it by pressing on it! Get the car into neutral first.

  1. Get the transmission into Neutral! Most cars sold in the US have Automatic transmissions. For the 5% sold with manual transmissions, depress the clutch and move the shift lever into Neutral.

For Automatics: if the vehicle is not equipped with a "Sport Shift" style transmission, move the gear selector from Drive or Overdrive to the Neutral position, in almost all cases one notch. On cars equipped with a Sport Shift style transmission, the gear selector has to be moved back to the Drive position before it can be shifted into Neutral. On the Toyota models that have the Sport Shift and are subject to the recall, it is best to refrain from using the manual shift option and until the car is repaired; use the Drive position. Seconds can matter.

  1. Turn the key to the ACC position.

On cars with a key, turn the key back one click to the ACC position. This shuts off the engine to prevent any damage, but also turns off the power steering and power brakes. The car will become harder to steer and stop, but the engine will be off so if the gearshift is accidently moved back into a gear, the car will coast to a stop.

  1. Plant on or both feet firmly on the brakes.

Pedal pressure will be light until the effects of the engine being turned off start to be felt. At first the pedal will operate normally. Do not pump the pedal. This will cause the pedal to operate harder more quickly. Instead, with one or both feet, depress the pedal and bring the car to a safe stop.

  1. At some point when it is safe to do so, turn on the flashers.

This will alert other drivers on the road that you are experiencing a problem and hopefully avoid a collision.

These steps will ensure most people a safe stop.

Instead of telling us how bad Toyotas have become, and scaring the daylights out of people, you would better serve the public by passing these steps along to keep people safe.

It should also be mentioned that if a person is intimidated by their car and might be unable to follow these steps, they should avoid driving the car until the repair is made, and either have the car towed to the dealer, or have it driven there by someone who would be able to control the car in case of a runaway situation.

Having a scared person behind the wheel of an uncontrollable car is the last thing that should be allowed to happen!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

3 a bad idea, brakes are Hydraulic, powered by the motor, no motor, no brakes, the motor has a rev limiter it wont blow. Now if you said use the emergency brake that would give something, about 45% brake power. But so what that he posts News, he posts facts, does it hurt your feelings about toyota. As I see it the CEO is a idiot, they ignore the Prius issues but now admit fixing the production run of about a week ago and tell no one!. I heard they havnt figured out how to contact Prius owners[which of course is bs] what they have shown is a desire to ignore it, and I still believe Wozniak more than any other, so as I see it its far from over, its only beginning.
Reply to
ransley

Not really. When they got big they were bound to have a f*ck-up. What pisses me off is the big deal the media is making out of it. NBC spends 5 minutes a night about it with no useful information, just Toyota bashing. Wow. That's news!

As far as putting the transmission in Neutral, that's what EVERYONE is saying.

But, I suppose this is better...

Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Reply to
ransley

ransley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f11g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
fred

With car recalls, ideally, the press should find out about the problem when the recall is announced. The problem here, IMO, is that a culture has evolved at Toyota whereby they deny and stonewall problems until they are forced into admitting them. That's the lesson here.

The first "crash" happened years ago. Toyota has had plenty of time to investigate. Instead they've used that time denying the problem exists.

Reply to
David Z

I do not believe anyone is "denying the problem". It takes time to evaluate REAL problems, I hope you understand this. Toyota has addressed the problem and IS taking corrective action. The numbers of problems as opposed to the number of vehicles operating is verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry small. In fact better than space, NASA requirements. It's been blown, thanks the the current administration and their beholden to unions, way out of proportion.

Reply to
dbu''

You you really believe this? I agree the problem has been greatly exaggerated by the press. However, apparently the problems are real. And Toyota was warned about these problems at least 3 years ago. Instead of investigating the problems, Toyota pulled their usual BS, denied the problem and tried to shift blame (initially to the Customers, then suppliers). Unfortunately this is standard operating procedure for Toyota. They have tried to lie their way out of numerous defects (ball joints, frame, suspensions, etc.). I just saw on CBS News that the CEO of Toyota is now claiming that Customers are number 1 at Toyota. Maybe he means it this time, but Toyota's history suggest what he really means is "our Customers are the number 1 suckers and our number 1 goal is getting as much of their money as we can."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yes!!

Thankyou

Are you privy to internal Toyota quality investigations?

Remember Audi and their acceleration problems?

It is NOT SOP Toyota. Prove that remark!!

What!!! I never heard of these things you claim. Expand and post proof.

First hand experience I have had nothing but stellar customer experience with my two Toyota vehicles. I WILL buy again Toyota.

In Japanese culture this is very humiliating. They will work very hard to repair their reputation, unlike American car companies. I can tell you about my experience with the "big three". I won't go back. Fool me once shame on you, but fool me many times shame on me numerous times!!!

Reply to
dbu''

Apparently Dimitrios Biller was. Do a google search on his lawsuit from last fall. Of course, he's a lawyer so his credibility could come into question:)

Apparently he's not the only one who thinks that they are being less than forthcoming with all of the information:

Looks like that's exactly what is being attempted. Of course it'll probably be a while before it all is settled.

Reply to
Kevin

(Cross postings deleted, automatically)

Perhaps, but if you check the public record you will discover Audis "Problem" proved to be driver error, not a mechanical problem as in the current case with Toyota.

Apparently Dimitrios Biller was. Do a google search on his lawsuit from last fall. Of course, he's a lawyer so his credibility could come into question:)

Apparently he's not the only one who thinks that they are being less than forthcoming with all of the information:

Looks like that's exactly what is being attempted. Of course it'll probably be a while before it all is settled.

Reply to
Mike Hunter