vaseline to stop leaks

We have a 1994 Corolla 1.3 two door. The sun roof was not factory fitted, but has been very good and only just started leaking this year.

Any suggestions without the unsightly tape on the topside? I was thinking of smearing vaseline on all the rubber sealing strips, but maybe something else would be better?

I'm happy not to open the sunroof at all except perhaps for the summer time, and if the leak gets worse I would consider sealing it up for good. Grateful for any advice, thanks.

Reply to
john zeiss

has it got drain holes in the surround ? Sometimes sun roofs leak because drain holes are blocked..

Reply to
mr p

In article , john zeiss says...>

Usually it's the pathetic strips of metal they call hinges that flatten out and just need tweaking back into shape.

Reply to
Conor

In article , mr p says...>

It's not factory fitted. It's one of those pikey flat things in a metal frame put in a hole cut into the roof with a jigsaw.

Reply to
Conor

On Caroline we used to talk about LA and DA.

Come on Conor, try and spread a little happiness. You are probably right, but why the negativity and bad feeling?

Have a few pints one evening and come on here... Perhaps you will be more convivial and friendly.

Love to all xxx

Reply to
Mark

The first step in these things is to diagnose the problem. Is there a rust hole? Is there some possible adjustment? Could something be placed behind the seal to allow more contact? Lets assume you can not determine any of the above. Then the likely problem is that the rubber has become less resilient or taken a set in the wrong position over time. You could try what is done with refrigerator seals that are not physically torn. You can heat the seal up with a heat gun and it will resume it's original position. This is a common fix with such seals. Car dealers do it this way too. Be gentile at first and don't burn the rubber.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Not sure, but wouldn't vaseline damage the seals ? - perhaps a silicone grease would be better.

Colin Wilson

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mark" saying something like:

Radio Caroline?

That's mild. You should read what I have to say about Webasto sun roofs.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Colin Wilson saying something like:

That stuff certainly is better for long term care of rubber seals. I see now that silicone sprays are being sold for just that purpose, but I was using silicone lub and furniture sprays for rubber preservation decades ago, so have some years of seeing how well (or not) it kept things reasonable and purely anecdotally, it works.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Mark says...>

What negativity?

Reply to
Conor

Vaseline is hard on rubber. Maybe silicone grease would be a better choice.

Reply to
Dave Garland

Washing up liquid?

Reply to
Abo

Does trash rubber, yes.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

we don't have washing up liquid, we have dishwashing soap.

Reply to
lisajoe

On 13-Nov-08 14:37:45, Mark said

Hey man, that's the way - face piles of trials with smiles

seems to ring a bell, :)

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring

Damn BNP seems to get in everywhere!

Reply to
GB