Re: Toyota struggles to stop runaway crisis

john wrote:

>> "Remarkable doesn't begin to describe what's happening to Toyota Motor >> Corp. >> >> Its reputation for delivering safe, reliable, quality-engineered >> vehicles is in tatters. > >Actually it isn't. I was listening to an interview today on NPR with an >automotive safety expert. The Toyota recall for accelerator pedals is >only the 5th largest recall, and unlike bigger recalls for other >manufacturers (Ford and GM) it's going to be solved much more quickly. >Ford has the honor of the biggest recall in history. > >What's helping Toyota's reputation is their quick action to fix the >problems. Dealers are staying open 24/7 to fix customer's cars. > >All the experts agree that the damage to Toyota's reputation all depends >on how quickly they fix customer's cars and how they treat the customers >during the repair procedure. I don't know if it's the dealers >themselves, or corporate Toyota that's paying for the perks that dealer >are offering, but it's very reassuring to the owners. Most people are >pretty reasonable when it comes to recalls. Tell them about the problem, >fix it without a hassle, and they're happy. It's pretty rare for _any_ >car to not have at least a couple of recalls with the increasing >complexity of vehicles.

That last sentence is a hoot. When a GM, Ford, or Chrysler had a recall the "I love Toyota" crowd were all over them, there was no "It's pretty rare for _any_ car to not have at least a couple of recalls with the increasing complexity of vehicles." Now that it's Toyota getting a black eye suddenly a recall is no big deal. And similarly, even though Toyota has known about this problem for years, the Toyota loyalists are claiming how "up front" T is and how "quickly" they are addressing it.... my ass.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher