Consumption

1992 214sli

I am getting only 110 miles to half a tank of fuel, thats about 22 mpg - whats wrong? is this right?

Reply to
Dean Carpenter

What the hell is YOUR problem?

I've got a 1987 Jaguar XJ-S with the V-12 engine that gets 12 MPG in town, and 13 MPG on the Highway. I'm really happy when it gets up to

13.6 MPG

You get 22 MPG? You should count your blessings!

Reply to
Hector_Berlioz

hahaha - but this is a 1396cc straight 4

Reply to
Dean Carpenter

is the car smoky??, is it down on power???

details?

caz

Reply to
caz

What exactly is the relevance of comparing consumption with another make, model and aged vehicle ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Coleman

In the absence of any non-Jaguar posts, I can say that it is definately

*not* right. I am making a few assumptions that you don't drive like a lunatic so should expect something in the region of the 'quoted' economy... IIRC about 38mpg combined. Hell, I get 27mpg out of my 420 Turbo (petrol) including a fair bit of hard acceleration.

I don't really know how to fix though, but there are a few things you can check.

Spark plugs will give an indication if she's running too rich, or if she's taking oil into the bores.

A compression test may also reveal something amis.

Is your exhaust in good condition?

The list is probably endless, but you definitely have a problem there.

Steve ;)

Reply to
Stephen A

Depends on many things, age and condition of the car/engine. All cars will suffer a loss in mpg over the years. Urban or M-Way driving, style of driving all need to be taken into account.

Around town, you'll get really bad mpg.. 22mpg doesn't seem that terrible... it's about what I get around town in my 820, but get it on a long run up the M-Way and that rises to around 30mpg.

Best thing to do would be fill the tank, and take it out for the day, run it for a few hundred miles up the m-way and see what you get.

Heckler ²°°³

As Heckler said, what kind of driving is this 22mpg made up of? How do you normally drive? Can you smell fumes from exhaust? Can you see smoke from exhaust? Is the air filter clean and unrestricted? Are your injectors clean and providing the right spray pattern? Is your wheel tracking correct? Have you had the car checked on a proper testbed? (ca. £70).

Steve :)

Reply to
Twinkletoes

And make shure you dont use tesco petrol :P

Reply to
Daniel Gibbs

Why not?

Heckler ²°°³