218 VVC coupe, damp start

Hello,

When it's getting wet (after about 4-6 in wet weather) the car will not start. Those special sprays aren't any good. The only way I can start is to dry out some leads (using a hair dryer). I went to a Rover dealer but I was told I would be better off calling a mobile service. I contacted two and both had quite high call out charges - £60 (not VAT) and £45 + VAT. So my idea is to locate exactly what to do, go to a Rover garage and just tell them what to replace. Leads that I suspect are one or more of 4 leads above the engine unit (they go into the engine unit). Can anyone give me more accurate information and what each lead is for?

Thanks,

Marius Horak

Reply to
MH

Would suggest that you (or some one) check plugs, distributor cap and rotor arm (within cap).

Replace if worn out.

A rover garage should be able to look and advise!

In article , MH writes

Martin Boast Suppliers of odour testing & associated Company promotional products. Visit

Martin Boast

This is a common problem with this engine due to the excessive length of the ignition leads. The OEM leads do not last too long and most people replace them with magnecor leads when this problems arises. They will set you back between £50-£60 but can be difficult to fit(unless you have long arms and thin hands!) as this disappear down to the rear of the engine to the coil pack. Replacing my leads solved the damp start problem for me.

Go to

and you will see numerous posts ondamp start problems with the VVC engine. Terry

Reply to
Terry