Cold start problems Rover 214

Hi all,

I have a problem with my car which is a Rover 214 1996 with a K8 engine. When starting from cold (when its been left overnight) the engine starts but will appear to run on one or two cylinders and knocks then cuts out within a few seconds It is as if the timing is incorrect. This will happen for about four attempts at starting. Eventually it will run but still misses and runs very rough. When it has started and I keep it running for about 30 seconds it then runs fine and will start for the rest of the day without a problem. There is a slight miss when it is running when warm but is hardly noticable. This bad starting appeared to occur when I changed the plugs, oil and filter so I have replaced the plugs with the originals but the fault still exists. I changed the hydraulic lifters thinking they were loosing oil and altering the valve timing but its still the same.

I just wondered if anyone had come across a problem like this before or if anyone may have a good idea as to why it should suddenly start playing up in this way.

Thanks in advance

Ken

Reply to
sueken

Most common cause is rotor arm and cap

Reply to
powerstation

Just out of curiosity, when you changed the plugs, how did you pull on the spark plug cables to get them off?

If I recall correctly, the plugs are set quite deep in the head and you may have damaged the cable(s) when pulling them off - hence that fact that there in no difference when refitting the old plugs.

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G