Lost Turbo - Rover 400 TDi

Looking for some advice on behalf of my dad. For about 3 months now he has had no power in his rover 400. Below is a list of what he has done, so if anyone can suggest any other things he can do to try to correct the problem please let me know!

The wastegate has been checked and was supposed to be OK. Also turbo checked and 15% down on delivery.

What have I done so far :- Rover dealer - advised that ECU was not communicating with car. Rover dealer - replaced ECU with 2nd hand unit - no change in performance. Cheltenham Diesel - checked with Bosch tester advised no problems indicated - suggested most likely cause to be faulty air flow meter.

Replaced with 2nd hand unit - no change in performance. Checked care with original air flow meter connected but sealed off by placing in a polly bag. 2nd hand unconnected unit left in car - no change in performance. Replaced air flow meter with new detail - no change in performance.

Thanks for your help

Reply to
Becca

steven.g

Which turbo hose blew?

(a) Turbo to intercooler (b) Intercooler to engine

Cheers, in advance.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Plenty of power loss, boost loss etc problems originate from perishing or damaged vacuum hoses. I'd check every hose on the engine for signs of holes.

Coyoteboy

intercooler to engine

Reply to
steven.g

Steven

Thanks, and interesting. I have had a recent drop in power on my 25TD, its the same kit as the SDI, and I have been suspecting the intake for a while now.

Just one other quickie, how noticable was the hole in the hose?

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Thanks everybody- he has found a hole in the intercooler hose, so is fairly happy that it will make a big difference to change it :o) is this something that rover should have picked up?!?!? its just that suggesting to install a new ECU- at dealership prices seems quite extravagant in comparison to the problem :o? if you know anyone who needs a brand new air flow meter for this car - my father has one knocking about now :o|

thanks again...

Reply to
Becca

it was a split about 4" long which without squeezing it was not visable

Reply to
steven.g

Steven.

Interesting......

All of the hoses in my particular car are of the nice shiny black types, except the intercooler to engine hose which is of a dull grey colour with a powdery textured finish. It also has a lot more give when compared to the standard black hoses and I'm starting to wonder if Rover have either a duff batch or they have been sourcing the parts from a different, and cheaper manufacturer.

I intend, weather permitting, to do a complete strip down and inspection this weekend to see if there is anything obvious like a split. My sypmtoms are mostly ok in 1st to 3rd, sluggish and underpowered in 4th with 5th loosing power on the slightest uphill gradient at speed (70mph). All of which points to an induction problem, but where......? In your case it sounds like the split was only opening up when the engine was working hard.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Reply to
steven.g

Nice!

I'll let u know what I find.

The plan of action for today is to start the car, then pull the induction hose off the engine and see if there is any discernable drop in revs. Then next check that there is air flow from the pipe, the engine should provide via the turbo intake.

Depending on what happens, I will then inspect the system. I am open to any possibilities at this time, from a split turbo hose to squirrels hording their nuts in the engine intake.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Reply to
steven.g

Not the hoses....... nor the turbo......

Still looking though......

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

try the small bore boost pipe to the injector pump it runs from the under side of header box to the pump

Reply to
******

Thanks. Will have a looksee tomorrow evening, british weather permitting!!!!!

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard