Rover 420 GSi advice please

Hi, I've been offered a Rover 420 gsi (manual) j reg saloon, 5 months MOT for £175. Any issues with these cars , what should I check for and how good/bad is fuel consumption, Thanks, Mandie.

Reply to
zepher

Fuel economy isn't terrific (maybe high thirties on a run) and they tend to leak oil slightly from the front left corner of the cylinder head. Rear suspension bushes can wear out (not too expensive to have replaced) and the driver's seat tends to rock a little if it's had a heavy driver slumping into it daily.

Bodywork tends to be very good and rust-free, the interior is comfortable even on longer journeys and performance is very good, though you should fit an alarm and immobiliser as I've seen two crashed into a ditch by joyriders recently.

Make sure it's got power steering otherwise you'll hate parking!

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Thanks for the info , I mostly do alot of short journeys , so I guess consumption will be pretty poor :-( I will definatly fit an alarm and immobiliser as there is alot of car crime around here. It does have power steering but I hate parking anyway :-) All going well I should have the car mid week as the current owner got her new car today :-) Thanks, Mandie.

Reply to
mandieakazepher

I've been offered a Rover 420 gsi (manual) j reg saloon, 5 months MOT for

Darren,

Also check the area where the front cross-member joins the floor pan (both sides) for rust.

This is a little awkward to see but it would seem that the MOT bods have been warned about this, as this was one of the first things they checked on my old Rover 416GSi a few years ago now - yes it was rusty with nice little hole in it which had to be welded to get the MOT pass certificate :-(

Brian G

Reply to
Brian G