Rover 620i Top Dead Centre

Hi,

I have just replaced the three sensors that reside inside the distributor, because crank sensor was showing a fault. This was decidedly cheaper than fitting an entire new distributor as recommended by most garages (a 10nth of the cost). I completed the job without any problems and the fault appears to be fixed.

However, one thing supprised me when trying to find Top Dead Centre (TDC). The Haynes manual states that markers are provided on the flywheel and cam pulley, lining these up with the appropriate points would give you TDC on cylinder no1 on the compression stroke.

Thats fine, except when I tried this on my car the flywheel marker indicates TDC on no4, I know this because I looked at the position of the rotor arm on the distributor. However when the flywheel marker is in alignment the cam pulley markers are nearly 180 degrees out and there are no other markers on the pulley to indicate that the timing is correct. When I align the markers on the cam pulley there is nothing in sight on the flywheel.

This seems silly as it is obvious that in order to set the timing up easily and correctly you need all these markers to line up and it would be easy for a garage to make a mistake when replacing the timing belt etc.

I am just curious to how this has come about and why. What is described in the haynes manual seems logical and axactly as found on the engine, they just all don't line up! Can anyone provide an explanation?

TIA

Dave

Reply to
Crazydave