Rover timing belts

Gents.

Has anybody heard anything about a timing belt tensioner issue on L series turbodiesels?

The reason I ask, my other half uses my car for the daily commute and it was due to be booked in for its 48k service. You can imagine how suprised I was to be told that the normal Rover 84k timing belt change (I usually get it done at 60k, 84k is pushing it) had been drasticly reduced to the 48k mark due to an issue with manual timing belt tensioners. There are apparently two types, a manual adjustment and an automatic adjustment type. The dealers advised that the automatic type were not at fault, just the manual adjust models from a certain chassis number, which they could not confirm over the phone.

Now the car is registered to one dealer whilst its being dropped in at a second due to convenience. If there was a timing belt tensioner pully issue I would expect the dealers with whom I'm registered to have advised me by now that there may be a problem but...... you know what dealers are like, and I'm worried that my wife is getting her chain jerked.

Has anybody heard *anything* about a possible issue. I normally don't bugger around with the risk of a possible timing belt problem but we all know what dealers are like.

Thanks

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

I don't know what model your Rover is, but certainly on the older applications of this engine (e.g. 600 series, new shape 200/400 series) it is an automatic tensioner. However the belt replacement interval is actually 60K. Regardless of whether or not it is automatic you still need to check the tensioner roller bearings for play as a failed tensioner means a failed belt...

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

I had a failed tensioner on my 220sdi it did no damage to anything else it was just a straight forward change over job

Reply to
steven.g