Should I risk using Wynn's Radiator Stop Leak on my Rover K-series Engine??

Hi, I have a 1998 Rover 416i with about 70,000 Miles on the clock. I bought it in 2000 at 50,000 Miles and it has been doing no more than 5000 Miles a year.

After driving it for 2 years, I suffered the dreaded K-series curse - Heat Gasket Failure !!

I removed the head and had it skimmed and pressure tested. The workshop told me that the head had been off once before, but I noticed that as the old dowels were plastic [not steel], I assumed that this would be a permanent repair.

After 2 further years of trouble-free motoring, I decided to do a precautionary coolant change to reduce the change of further failure which I did back in September of 04.

I have just been told by the MOT tester (who is a neighbour of ours and 100% trustworthy), that he noticed a drip of coolant falling on his head during the MOT Test. This got me concerned as:

a) I have been noticing that there has been a small loss of coolant which requires at least an additional pint of water to be added to the expansion tank every week or two, however I have never soon water on the road under the car when parked.

b) After 2 recent long journeys (over 60 Miles), we noticed that the radiator fan was running-on for at least a minute after stopping the engine.

c). For the last few weeks, when I crank the engine, it appears hestitant to turn over for a split second, then turns over fine (which makes me wonder if there is a likelihood of coolant leak into the cylinder bores after the engine stops and the presurised water is "looking for a way out".

There is no sign [yet] of oil contamination and no mayo under the filler cap.

It is not convenient, at this time, for me to do a big job on the car but I would like to be able to stop, or at least slow-down the leak so I can get the job done in Mid February.

I have bought a can of Wynn's "Radiator Stop Leak" to see if this would help but I am not sure whether it would have any beneficial effects on a minor internal block leak and I don't want to make things worse !!

What do you think ??

Steve Harvey

steveharvey [at] dsl [dot] pipex [dot] com

Reply to
Steve Harvey

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:42:56 -0000, Steve Harvey assembled some one and zeroes in mesage id :

If the leak is from the head gasket and is internal and external as you suspect then get it fixed now.

But it might not be head gasket failure.

Check the radiator for corrosion and if you use antifreeze look for white/green staining. These are a weak point at 5 yrs plus. Easy to change.

Behind the engine there is a coolant transfer pipe that is prone to rotting. So check here too. Fairly easy to change if you can get the car in the air. Not much fun on ramps.

But my favourite for your symptoms would be the seals on the inlet manifold. A trivial part it may be but great fun to fix. If you like your fun to be awkward and fiddly.

In all cases the K series cooling system can be a pig to refill.

Reply to
M.Pitt

Another simple common fault is the expansion tank pressur cap failing to hold correct pressure allowing coolant to steam away without showing signs of a leak. For the cost involved it's worth a try.

Reply to
Jon