Lucas Engine Oil Stop-Leak?

'94 ThunderChicken LX V8, 70k mostly city miles. The 4.6 has seeped a little oil for many years. After I checked for burning and blow-by, a mechanic put it on a rack and confirmed it was coming from the rear-main seal (as expected).

Last summer it lost about 1 quart during a little trip of 800 hiway miles. Not enough to get all excited about, but, on the other hand, I hate to see the recurring spot on the garage floor.

Aside from fi cleaner, I'm not an additive user but ... Lucas has a good rep. Is there any reason -not- to try their Engine Oil Stop-Leak product?

Thx, P

Puddin' Man

The stop leak ptoducts work by softening hardened seal material and are quite often successful, at least short term.

The worst that will happen is you may end up needing to replace engine seals - which are already a problem.

I'd go for it.

Reply to
clare

Instead of stopping leaks, it might stop oil flow in the oil galleries where you want it to flow.

Reply to
dr_jeff

If you understand how the stuff works you KNOW that is not even a REMOTE possibility.

It simply softens the seal material. If the seal is just hard, the leak stops. If the seal is damaged, it COULD get a lot worse.

Vast majority of seal leaks are due to hardened lip seals. Catch it before it grinds the seal surface off the crank and you have a good chance.

Reply to
clare