1985 Brake Servo Non ABS

Does anyone know of the 99/90/900 shared the same servo?

Mines been leaking overnight, so in the morning, I need to pump the brakes a few times (stationary) with the engine running, before I get softer servo assisted brake feel.

Once I've pumped it down, or even if I leave it till later in the day when it is warmer, brakes work really well.

Now it is time to go to the scrappy and locate a used one, as new ones are too pricey.

The breakers near me have a 90, and several 9k's in, but no 900's. Are there any models other than another non ABS 900 that is compatable?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

The master cylinder on the 900 changed around 1988, whether the servo changed I'm not sure (and way too beered up to go look now

- it is saturday night you know).

The 9k servo is the same one used on 88 and later 900s. But whether it's the same as the earlier, see comment above.

The 90 servo would fit your car just fine.

Reply to
Grunff

In article , grunff232 @ixxa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Excellent. Just need to work out how to get it off the car stacked 2 cars up.

I hope it is possible to unbolt the master cylinder without undoing it's plumbing, and move it slightly to one side, to get enough clearance. And hopefully, I can do the rest of the removal of the circlip etc though any speaker holes there.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , grunff232 @ixxa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Grunnf, don't suppose you know if the oneway valve on the servo is replacable. I have noticed in the past that it appears a little wobbly on, and a few wiggles an get it hissing.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yeah, it just pulls off!

Having just re-read your original post (now that I'm more ... ahem...focused), I'm not entirely clear what the symptoms are.

Are you saying that first thing in the morning, the brake pedal is soft or hard? And after you've pumped it a few times, is it hard or soft?

Reply to
Grunff

I just looked, and the servo is different 88 >. So a 9k servo will be different.

Once you've unbolted the master from the servo (with plumbing still attached), you then have to get under the dash. You disconnect the servo linkage (that eventually goes to the pedal), and unscrew 4x nylocks. Don't fancy your chances of doing it through speaker holes, but let me know if you do!

Reply to
Grunff

In article , grunff232 @ixxa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

First thing in the morning. Pedal hard. Standing on it raises, then eventually drops the revs.

Normally when standing on it, it will stall the engine at least once. Sometimes, the revs will drop then raise, and then the pedal will soften up as normal. This is normally accompanied by a quite loud hissing sound until the pedal softens. And then the vacuum cannister quacks/moos whenever revs drop to idle, especially when using the brakes.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hmm...Sounds odd.

It's not unusual to lose the vacuum overnight, but it is unusual to stall the engine by pushing the brake pedal. Could be a leaky one-way valve (where the hose enters the servo), could also be a leaky servo diaphragm (my money's on that).

Reply to
Grunff

In article , grunff232 @ixxa.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Thats why I figured replace the Servo.

Been and trwled the local scrappies. One Saab 90 that I knew about, but it has been moved, had a car parked onto it's very battered bonnet, so I couldn't open it.

Found a 900 8V Turbo 3 door C reg in there that had the inner wing mounted APC. That had the full beige leather interior that didn't look in too bad nick. but the passenger side door was blocked by a mountain of crap that It would take a week to shift, so I couldn't have pulled the servo if I wanted.

Tried another yard that I sometimes use.

They had a 900 8v 2 door in. Didn't check the year, but they were shutting in a couple of minutes, so I managed to liberate an intact headlight washer nozzle to replace the one on might that had lost the bottom clip. Sometime in the last week, something had managed to snap the headlight wiper blade (the blade itself not the arm or the metal blade holder), and snap the washer jet clip, and break one of the clips that the blade holder clips/swivels on, but not damage the headlight.

In the scrapyard tradition, if it fits in your pocket it is free.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo