1997 Saab 900S Convertible

I'm having a problem with this car and no one around here seems to be able to figure out how to help without causing damage.

A couple of years ago, the car just "died" and it turned out to be a short in the electrical system, so the alarm system was disconnected. Since then I had to lock the doors manually.

When going to work about a month ago, I locked the door with the key and I felt a mild "clunk" inside of it. When I left work, the door wouldn't open with the key. I tried the passenger side...same thing.

One of the guys there said he'd try to get it opened, but he had to go in through the trunk. (Thank God that I had the back seat in the down position) He was able to open the windows, but the doors wouldn't open from the inside either!

So, I had to climb in the window to get home. A few people looked at it, and finally my son was able to get the passenger side door opened by using a coat hanger on the drivers side. I had it at a mechanics for a week, and he said that they tried but couldn't get it opened, without damaging the door.

The problem is....you can't even get the door panel off without being able to open the door as the screws are located around the edge of the opened door.

I know this is a long shot, but has anyone here ever had this problem? Any solutions? I'm getting tired of getting in the passenger side, and climbing over the dang console. :(

TIA....dy

Reply to
Dianne K

The door is probably ``deadlocked`` IE the slot for the key is horizontal, so if you can`t open it with the key you can drill out the plastic surround below the outside handle, this will allow access to the unlock mechanism. A bit of a radical solution but it is cheaper than a damaged door, Regards, Tom, Saabtech.

Reply to
Tom

Thanks Tom! :)

I'm pretty sure that the key turns, it just won't unlock the door. We have tried so many things that I'm not even sure...but I'll check that out again tomorrow.

By "drill out", do you mean that I will have to replace the "plastic surround?" I would like to have the parts I need before we start this.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with this particular model, but there is a "velour" type inset on the inside of the door...it seems to be glued in, and I was wondering if that could perhaps be removed to access the lock?

So, you think that this is more the lock mechanism itself rather than electrical? It just seemed strange that the passenger door could be opened from the drivers side if there wasn't something electrical involved?

I don't suppose that a locksmith would be of much use, would they?

Why does this stuff always happen to me? :'(

Thanks Again...dy

The door is probably ``deadlocked`` IE the slot for the key is horizontal, so if you can`t open it with the key you can drill out the plastic surround below the outside handle, this will allow access to the unlock mechanism. A bit of a radical solution but it is cheaper than a damaged door, Regards, Tom, Saabtech.

Reply to
Dianne K

Try disconecting the battery.

Reply to
ElectricMike

We did try disconnecting the battery....didn't work.

I just tried the key again, and it turns both up and down and to the side....it even works the passenger side from the drivers side, and makes a clicking noise like it always did when locking and unlocking the door.

But the drivers side STILL won't open.

Does this sound like the lock mechanism itself?

It kind of doesn't make sense though, because when this first happened...neither the drivers side nor the passenger side would open.

Reply to
Dianne K

Do you have AAA?

Call them that you've locked your self out and they will 'jimmee' the door open - then you can take the door apart.

Reply to
Nilsa and Barry Mabel

replying to Tom, mick browne wrote: hi tom i am having trouble with my 97 900s convertible my l/h door want open i have got my door card half off and can see the inside and outside handles are working,locks inside and outside are working.but still the door want open. the key fob want work ether.have trided push and pulling on door no luck. is there another locking device to do with the fob. thanks mick.

Reply to
mick browne