1998 9-3 2.2 TiD

Hi, all,

Does anybody have any experience with this 9-3 2.2 TiD model? I'm looking to buy a diesel-powered car, and am quite tempted to buy the diesel Saab.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Bozz

Not a great deal of "saab" left in there I'm afraid.

If you really want a diesel, and want a car that drives nicely, consider a similar age bmw diesel. Their diesel engines are streets ahead of GM's.

Reply to
Grunff

I sort of gathered that already.

I was thinking of that. Too bad a diesel BMW with 150,000km is about twice as expensive as the Saab I'm talking about. For the same price I can get a 1994-5 BMW that's gone over the

250,000km. Not sure if that would be a "good deal". There's also issues with tax, insurance, and the "image" thing: old BMWs don't enjoy a very good image nowadays, at least in the Netherlands -- most are driven by would-be pimps or low-life dealers. I don't fit either category. Of course, for half the price I can get a diesel Mondeo or Escort, or Opel Vectra. But what's the fun in that?
Reply to
Peter Bozz

I know what you mean - but sometimes you just have to say "screw image, this is good engineering". I have 4 saabs, but I also have a (very pimpy) 1987 325i, white with body kit!! I didn't but it from a pimp or a dealer, I bought it from a very nice old gent who'd owned it from new.

I would've thought at your price range you should be able to get a 97-99 3 series diesel, no?

Then go for the Vectra - very little difference between that and the 9^3 - think of the 9^3 as a Vectra with better trim.

Reply to
Grunff

Well, yes, but chances are it'll be a 318tds, probably Touring. If I'm getting a BMW 3-series, then I want at least a 325tds. Those are kind of hard to get -- most have galactic mileages already. I've heard of BMW reliability, but still, if I'm gonna invest a lot of cash, I don't want a car that's been worn out from the start. The Saab I was looking at had only done 110,000km, full opts, no leather. No way you can get a similar BMW for that price (9000 Euros), or it'll be a 1996 5-series with 300,000km on the clock.

Yeah, that's true. Shame I find the Vectra utterly dull and uninvolving. Can't bring myself to invest in a car like that. I'd rather get the Honda, if any decent Accord diesels were available currently.

Reply to
Peter Bozz