2 Saabs Not Running

I have an '84 Saab 900 and a '94 Saab Turbo Convertible and both have been sitting, not driven since September of 2004. I jump start each one about every month, but neither will re-start without jumper cables. The engines seem to run fine, they just won't start on their own. I have a new battery in the '84 and both cars were running fine pryor to me taking them off the road. Also the check engine light comes on in the '84. Do I need to get these cars towed into the shop or is there something I can do to get them to start on their own?

Reply to
itten

Batteries aren't meant to be left lying around like that. They self-discharge for one thing.

Try a good healthy charge before anything else.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

When you jump-start them, do you just walk away and leave them, or actually throttle up the engines? I don't know about the 1994 models, but with the 84 C900, you will need to either hold your foot down on the throttle so the engine revs go high enough when starting, or do it after starting, to kick in the voltage regulator so start charging the battery.

Also, charging with the engine idling will certainly work, but the alternator output is going to be quite limited so you'd want to actually take the car for a drive both to ensure the engine's getting warm enough for the fluids to work properly, but also to keep the alternator clean and in good condition and give the battery a chance to charge properly.

I can start my 1983 and 1985 C900's but if I leave them idling without getting the voltage regulators to start up, the charge in the battery won't be replenished.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

an alternator is not mean't to charge a dead battery and is hell on it, you need to pull the battery's and charge them properly, autozone will charge them for free, takes about 1.5hrs each.

Reply to
al010101

Agreed.

Deep discharge of a battery is bad news. It needs to be 'reconditioned' so to speak.

I'm in 2 minds over fast recharge. I've known it make a dead battery come back to life. I have my own homebuilt rig that recharges at around 20 Amps. Certainly gets some charge in there fast. OTOH it can also be hell on a battery. Worth trying on an old one for sure though.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Agreed. Try trickle charging first, and fast charge as a last ditch effort (try to blow the sulfation off the plates) just before you trade it in on a new one.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

ok so if u charge the battery and start it it runs for a bit but then dies while it is running? if that's the case then its the alternator or that alternator belts are not tight.

or if u charge the battery it runs and u turn it off but then u go back to start it and its dead. that means its the battery or there is a shortage somewhere in the wiering.

Reply to
es

Sounds like a typical SAAB to me. Good luck papa

Reply to
PAPAGENE4JACK

It sounds like you need to DRIVE the cars. Not only will the batteries be charged, but the fluids will be circulated and you won't have flat spots in the tires. Also, just how old is the gas in the tank? A car needs to be driven. If you don't have time to drive them, perhaps you could sell them to someone who wants a classic Saab.

Reply to
ma_twain