Neutral

I cannot start my car. I think the battery is dead. But the strangest thing is that I cannot put the car into neutral to jump the car. The keys turn to on, but I cannot move the gear shifter out of park. I tried both sets of keys (one is brand new from the dealer). Has anyone else seen this problem?

Thanks

Reply to
Adam Fiedor

Forgot to add: Its a 2002 9-3 SE automatic.

Reply to
Adam Fiedor

Why? Does it not have a battery?

Reply to
MH

You will find it hard to jump an automatic. Get help.

Reply to
John Hudson

If the battery is totally dead, it would be logical that the shifter lock-out solenoid cannot operate when you put your foot on the brake pedal to release the shifter lock. If you attach a booster battery, you should be able to release it. (and hopefully start it too)

Jim M

Reply to
Jim M

Have you tried connecting up the jump leads first?

Maybe it needs power to release the shifter or something.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Another thought - Why does it have to be in neutral? Jump starting it in park should be fine surely?

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Colin , if the car is in park the transmission is locked and the car cannot be moved. You cannot jump start an automatic. The poster does not understand this and presumably has never bothered to find this out. He needs help from someone with practical knowledge.

Reply to
John Hudson

I think you're not using the same definition of "jump start" as me. To me, jump starting means using jump leads. You (and maybe the OP) seem to be referring to what I would call bump or push starting.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

I wanted to put it in neutral to push the car where I can actual jump start it from another car. I believe my battery is completely drained. As a new Saab owner, I never had a car where I could not put it into neutral and move the car even with a dead battery.

Reply to
Adam Fiedor

The only experience I have with an automatic is where I had to put my foot on the brake pedal to be able to move from P to N. Seems like there is some logic/switch that not only lights the brake lichts, but also unlocks the shift lever. I guess that needs battery power, and if the battery is really dead, that logic does not work.

Replacing the battery, or jump starting from another car's battery should work.

Push or tow starting is a different thing all together, specially with an automatic.

Reply to
MH

Righto. I guess you really need neutral then - just checking :o)

I've just checked on WIS. Apparently, there's an override for the shift lock. for just this situation. The instructions say :-

  1. Turn ignition OFF.
  2. Press the oblong button on the side of the shifter.

Well, that's what it says. I'm working blind - my car is manual.

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Only if it's not in P or N - which brings us back to the original post. Otherwise, what's the problem? I've jump started dozens of automatics. You just can't rollstart them. Cheers

Reply to
hippo

Thank you Colin I stand corrected. I wrongly assumed the original poster wanted to bump start and my error carried on.

Reply to
John Hudson

This is not unusual on modern cars...for several years now. All automatics that I can think of have a manual overide ( a button somewhere near the shifter ), that allows you to shift the car out of park to push it to a position where you can boost the battery, or tow the vehicle.

BL

Reply to
BL

Well, now you can't say that anymore...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Think outside the box! Take a proven, good battery and carry it to the front of the Saab. Use your short jumper cables to connect the good battery, then you should be able to put it in neutral and start the car. OR, better yet - buy a set of long jumper cables!! That way you can jump start your automatic from a car parked at the back of your Saab.

I have a long set of Snap-On cables - and Murphy's Law really works. I have driven a manual transmision Classic Saab 900 since 1985 and have never needed a jump. Just having the long cables in the car keeps it from needing a jump start - or is the lack of GM electronics that helps :-)

Reply to
ma_twain

Now you mention it.Maybe.

My old 84 900 still had the swedish deliverd battery. It was old, not great, but never failed to start everyday. had a decent set of very heavy jumpers under the false floor.

Got the Celica, moved the jumpers to the boot of the Celica, started the

900 everyday, and took short drives. Within a week, the battery was close to terminal in the 900. I swear it was the threat of jump leads that did it.
Reply to
NeedforSwede2