2002 9-5 2.3 A/T whirring sound on startup

Get this whirring sound on a cold startup, disappears when engine warms a little.
Sound only seems to appear when vehicle has stood for long enough to cool
down and is restarted.
Engine checks OK, no lights or warning codes on the SID.
Can anyone enlighten?
To reply via email, remove the obvious.

About where in the engine compartment does it seem to be coming from? Could be one of the serpentine belt's idler pulleys getting ready to go south.
-Fred W
Fred
The sounds appear from about mid section of the motor. It increases/decreases with revs.
Turned off A/C to test that possibility to no avail.
The car has 44k miles, so perhaps you may be right and the idler pulley is going before it's time.
What's puzzling me though is why the sound disappears when the engine warms a little, a few minutes run time and I never hear it again except when the car has sat for a while.
Tom S.

cool
Could

warms
Mid section huh... Well I don't see how that is near the belt, which is at the extreme right side of the engine compartment (from the drivers vantage point) But if you want to rule it out, wait until the engine is cold and remove the serpentine belt. Start the engine without the belt and see if it still makes the same noise. If not you've got it nailed (just have to figure which of the pulleys is causing the noise). If it's still there then that's not it. Don't run the engine more than a few minuites to test it since you'll have neither an alternator for recharging the battery nor a waterpump for cooling, but it will not harm anything to run that way for a little while.
-Fred W
Fred
Sound advice.
I've just checked the WIS, is the serpentine belt also what is known as the drive belt for auxiliaries?
If so, I think it might be beyond my mechanical abilities, and its off to the stealer for a fix.
Tom.

is
the
at
it
then

the
Yep. One and the same. There is only one belt on the 4 cylinder SAAB engines.
-Fred W