Just had my worse nightmare.......

Just got off the motorway, first stretch of road fine, then approaching the 1st roundabout just changing down to second, suddenly died without warning while on overrun. Clutched in quick, turned it over, fired up and started off agin. Got to some slow traffic, and then every time it dropped to idle speed, or on over-run, it would die. Worst 15 mins of my driving life, slowing through the gears while braking, then trying to dip the clutch, and use the handbrake (crawling speed) to keep the revs up with my other foot.

Had had some pretty heavy rain coming home, and wondered if something had gotten wet. The wondered if the clutch was going an it was dragging, so it was slowing the engine to a stall without gas.

The eventually got home with a face like thunder, had a sit down and a clam down, and went out, and tried it out of gear, still wouldn't idle.

Popped the bonnet, checked the throttle cable hadn't slipped, and that the dash pot was still working. All good. Checked for broken or shorting wiring. All good. Checked the vac hoses. All good. Then I noticed, the hose from the rocker cover to the intake manifold was off. Popped it back on, and it idled sweetly again. Popped it off, immediate death of the engine.

On mine it was two short braided rubber lengths, pushed into the ends of a fatter piece of plain rubber pipe.

One of the braided ends had come out of the fatter rubber pipe.

So as a precaution I have replaced it with a length of silicon VAC hose in a fetching shade of blue to match all the other VAC hoses. Fired it up, never ran so sweetly.

God was I relieved.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 24/06/2004 19:30:

The story

Bad news ... And good news. I've had some similar problems in the same area recently. I really is worrying when you get sudden death. Glad you're okay given the potential danger of the situation.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Sounds like an air/vacuum leak, mate.

Ah. Yup, makes sense.

I've also had similar symptoms on a c900 when I over-stomped the loud pedal, resulting in the pressure hose on the cold side of the turbo blowing off. Gravity held it in place, usually, but under boost it'd blow loose again & performance sucked accordingly. That one was just a hose clamp tightening at the side of the road - funny thing was, I had diagnosed the failure (correctly) before pulling over, despite never having had the problem nor heard of it before. Just something about how it was breathing, y'know?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

[...]

Once had something similar. The small diameter hose wasn't off, but was split at one end, the split invisible from above. I diagnosed it by the unusual whistling noise, cut off an inch and refitted.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

MT,

Been there. Done that. Got the skid marks in the pants to prove it.

One word for you in prevention of future recurrance: tie-wraps

...well I suppose technically that is two words hyphenated, but hey, where's the drama in that? ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

In article , Fred.Wills@allspam spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

First thing I did after replacing the hose, tie wrapped on now.

I guess, with all that un-metred air going straight into the manifold, it was leaning out so far it couldn't run on idle only.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yep, the un-metered air leak is a much larger percentage of total intake air volume at idle than at any other throtle position.

Oh no. Something that makes sense!! ;-)

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.