9-5 how-to website

Is there a website with instructions and graphics showing how to perform basic maintenance, i.e. change filters and plugs, etc.? thanks

Reply to
TGS

Why don't you buy a manual. They're very good, Haynes is the Global leader in car DIY.

Reply to
JoHNY

For the life of me I never have understood how Haynes got to be in that position. Of every the car manual I've ever owned Haynes are without fail the very worst.

Let me instance black on black pics, text that refers to other text or pics several chapters away and quite simply bits that don't actually relate to the car you're working on.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I agree they are hard work, but have you seen any of the alternatives? I suppose they're good for general data and give you a feel of the job involved. At the end of the day however, there's no substitute for actually getting your hands dirtyand leaning from experience. I was in an auto shop in Vegas once and there was a whole section of the shop devoted to Haynes manuals. If the Yanks are in to them, they must be good?

Reply to
JoHNY

The handbook that came with the 9-5 is pretty good for such basic stuff. Otherwise, try:

for a start. There's lots more - do a google.

There are also several computer programs which are extremely useful. One is the Mitchell On-Demand Computerized Repair Information System. The other is the Genrad Saab Workshop Information system.

Both are a bit complex to use but provide complete and updated info on every component and procedure. Magnificent if you can get hold of them - I'm not sure if they are available to private individuals.

--=20 Regards, Peter Wilkins

Reply to
Peter Wilkins

Remember that (many if not all) Yanks are into lite "beer," too... :-)

Reply to
Gary Fritz

How little you understand us...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

No, No. It's all quite true, Dave. I heard that Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez *both* love the Haynes manuals. But there is some disagreement about the beer. It seems A-Rod says something about it being "less filling"?

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Well, it certainly isn't filling anything in _this_ house. Victory's "Storm King Imperial Stout" last evening.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I think you missed the point. "Yanks", etc.

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Ah, sorry, I missed that one...I don't follow golf.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I feel my leg getting a bit longer...

Reply to
Malt_Hound

And while we're yanking legs -- Dave, I feel I must point out that I am

*also* of American persuasion, so you can't say I don't understand "us."

I see more than enough Coors, Bud, etc consumed to know that quite a few 'Murricans do in fact drink the lite dreck. Even if I don't.

Reply to
Gary Fritz

Newbie here, my handle, Hujorgen, is a made up name from long ago - hujorgen (Hugh Jorgen) ;-). On the subject of adult refreshments I prefer Guinness, Boddington's and if it has to be built in the US it's Geo Killian's Red.

Just bought my 3rd SAAB a 1999 9-5 with 120k miles. Within a week the LPTurbo shaft said I'm going on a break and spew oil all over the exhaust system and the like. The dealer Andrews of Princeton, MN. said oops and promptly put in a replacement. Now I can go real fast?

What's up with the SAAB "used soapbar like" remotes? I almost have to be inside the car to use it!!! I replaced the battery but I still have to be within 10 feet (3 meters) to get the cheerful chirps.

Also if I may ask has anyone had any good or bad experiences with an "Autostart" device with a 9-5? I've been told there is trouble afoot with them anywhere near a 9-5. I feel brave and want one up here in Frostbite Falls, MInnesota, but my minstrels insist I'll run away. ;-)

Tip one for me when you can, Tip 2 for you because you should.

Hu.

Reply to
hujorgen

"hujorgen" wrote in news:1133555009.862578.249700 @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Mine is very irregular. On occasion I can get it to work from 20-30' away, if the key is against my body (== big antenna). Most of the time I keep hitting the button until I literally can touch the car before it finally works. It seems to be worst on the driver's side, which is of course where I am 98% of the times I use it.

Natch, when I complained about this under warrantee, they said "works fine for me."

Reply to
Gary Fritz