9-5 SID

Can anyone tell me where to buy in the UK (or have repaired) the SID display on my 2002 9-5 Aero?

So far it is missing one vertical but presumably will get worse.

TIA

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Isn't it still under warranty? Both my displays failed around 3 years old and were replaced under warranty.

If not, I think there is an Internet site that tells you how to fix it yourself. Just a sec. No, sorry, can't find it, but you can check with

There are a number of references there in the saab forums, including people who will fix it for you.

Oh, this site has something:

and this

--=20 Regards, Peter Wilkins

Reply to
Peter Wilkins

You can't repair an LCD unless it's simply the driver chip at fault ( theoretically replaceable ).

Sorry.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Graham, it's not the LCD or the electronics that fail (usually), it's the physical connections of the cable between the LCD and the electronics that go bad. Repair is possible.

--=20 Regards, Peter Wilkins

Reply to
Peter Wilkins

I'm surprised that would affect just one 'vertical' but I confess I'm not totally sure what the OP meant by that now.

Modern Saabs seem to have so many problems that older ones didn't btw.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

The problem with the display is usually the mating of the flexible cable to the connectors. If one connection goes bad, you can lose a row either horizontal or vertical, if several go bad, you lose more, until the display becomes unreadable. I had an identical problem with my Garmin GPS. I pulled the GPS apart, undid the cable connectors, cleaned everything, put it back together and the LCD display was back again in full. It's a bit more difficult to do the Saab SID display yourself, but instructions on how to do it are on the Internet.

Yes, you are right! I just paid $A900 to have a leaking air conditioning hose on my 9-5 replaced: The Saab dealer said they had to dismantle virtually everything in the system to get the hose out, so most of the cost was in labour. After looking, I almost believe them.

--=20 Regards, Peter Wilkins

Reply to
Peter Wilkins