9000 CDE Turbo running a little hot

Seems my 9000 CDE turbo is running a little hot on those blistering hot days in los angeles. It runs hot when the outdoor temp is high and I have the A/C running. It doesn't go red-line hot, but it's nearly there. Is this normal for a turbo? It runs hot whether the car is moving or not.

Reply to
ngwcaa

Check that the radiator fan is running properly. You probably have a

2-speed electric fan. It should turn on low speed soon after the engine reaches full temp (mid scale on temp gauge) and you should hear it kick on to high speed at about 3/4 full scale. Keep in mind that the fan control switch is mounted in the bottom (coolest part) of the radiator.

There are lower temp control switches that are available and highly recomended. That and getting a lower temp thermostat are among the very best things you can do for the longevity of your 9000's engine.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

If you have the standard 89 degree thermostat, you could try swapping in the alternative 82 degree one. I just did this on my '88 9000 turbo, and it now stays in the middle of the gauge. Before it used to get about 2/3 the way up.

Those temps are centigrade by the way; sorry, not sure what the F equivalent is!

You need to drain down the coolant to do this, so it would be worth flushing the radiator at the same time. This should also help.

Regards, Alan

Reply to
Alan Cole

It can be done without draining the coolant, but you will lose a litre or two, and it will make a smelly mess.

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen