9000 2.3SE overheating - maybe

Hi There

my 199k mile '91 9000 2.3 (non turbo) is indicating very hot running. The temp gauge goes all the way up to the top of the white, then settles in the small gap under the red. If it hits the red, the fan *then* cuts in, and drops it back a bit. I am not losing any water.

I am starting to think this is a temp sender/gauge problem. What does the collective think? Any other ideas?

Thanks Julian

Reply to
jmay

The fan should come on long before it hits the red - about 2/3 -3/4 of the way normally. If it's not coming on until you hit the red, then several things are possible:

  1. The gauge is reading incorrectly - either sender or gauge could be faulty. Unlikely.
  2. The fan thermo switch isn't submorged in coolant. Check coolant level.
  3. The fan thermo switch is faulty. Very possible.
Reply to
Grunff

Thanks for the fast response. The water level in the header tank is at the top, so I assume the thermo switch is submerged. Is this a valid assumption?

Given the high mileage/age of the old girl, I fully expect electrical bits to breakdown. I will do the thermo switch first.

Cheers Julian

Reply to
jmay

As long as you haven't done any work that may have introduced air into the system, yes, it's valid.

Yes, that's where I'd start. Change the thermostat while you're at it, always a good idea.

Reply to
Grunff

Ah. The water pump was replaced recently. I thought the system was self bleeding?

Will do.

Thanks again Julian

Reply to
Jools

It is, but sometimes it needs some help :-)

What I normally do is get it up to temperature, the 'pump' the rad top hose by hand. This will often clear big bubbles.

If the thermoswitch and the thermostat are old, I'd be inclined to replace them as a matter of course - they cost little, and are very important components. Then make sure you have no air in the system.

Reply to
Grunff

OK, I will try 'pumping', then replace the switch & stat.

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

Cheers Julian

Reply to
Jools

Spot on, Grunff. The switch and stat were replaced this morning, problem fixed.

Many thanks for the help.

Cheers Julian

Reply to
jmay