900NG Distributor Question

On my 1998 900, the exhaust camshaft drives the distributor by means of a "drive dog" on the distributor shaft. I think this is probably the same on later models also. The drive dog has a spring-like coil around it which does not seem to serve any purpose, unless it is to prevent it from falling into the valve openings in the event of a breakage.

Does anybody know what the purpose of the coil spring is? Also, if the drive dog breaks, would I be correct in assuming that a new distributor unit is needed?

Reply to
mikeogrady

Might be a way to dampen vibration into the body of the distributor via the 'floating' shaft that links with the offset slot on the end of the camshaft? Or it could be there simply to make sure the floating part of the endshaft doesn't come off the camshaft slot.

Craig.

Reply to
Saab C900 Viggenist