1988 4 cyl runs rough

Car was running fine when it was stopped last night, but this morning...........problems.

New distributor cap, rotor, plugs. Have spark through the plugs. Engine starts and runs, but right side cylinders not firing off. Car will idle, though rough. Plugs on side that fires off are black with build-up. Fuel smell, of course on side not firing.

Coil? Air flow? Any help welcome.

Reply to
jettaman8691

have you checked the timing?

Reply to
Rat

Broken timing belt. Ruptured FPR.

Reply to
johninKY

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ An engine with a broken timing belt cannot run.

Reply to
l.lichtman

Not true in this case. This engine has 2 timing belts. I know from expereince that this engine will run if the passenger-side belt breaks. Not so if the driver's side breaks as it also drives the distributor.

Reply to
johninKY

He is correct. The 1800 will run if the drivers side timing belt is intact.

Reply to
schema

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I'm not arguing, I'm just asking. I have always understood that the timing belt runs the camshaft, so it controls the valves and distributor. If those things stop, the engine dies. What can run on the other timing belt that the engine can run without?

Reply to
l.lichtman

The 1.8L engine has 2 camshafts and 2 timing belts. The driverside belt also drives the water and oil pumps and the driverside camshaft powers the distributor. When this belt breaks the engine stops running. The other belt only turns the passengerside camshaft. When it breaks the engine runs but only on 2 cylinders. The 1.8l engine is also a noninterference engine so there is no valve to piston contact and therefore no internal damage. It is also very rare for the passengerside belt to break before the other.

Reply to
johninKY

What he said.

Reply to
schema

Bingo. The passenger side belt was trashed. Your assistance has been very much appreciated. Now, how does one get the crank pulley off (the one the alternator belts run off of) without messing up something? TIA

Reply to
jettaman8691