'94 9000....again

Two more issues today. First is that the radio will not accept the code that was on the card in the car. I keep putting it in and it keeps saying code. I'm beginning to wonder if I got the right card. I have tried disconnecting the battery and waiting 5 minutes. Any suggestions?

My second issue is my central locking system. It keeps blowing the fuse. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Derek

Reply to
wemic

Get the right code first.

If SAAB radio security is as easy to get around as simply disconnecting the battery, it is as good as none. After keying in the wrong code three times, you have to have the key in ignition on for an hour befroe it allows you to try three more times.

Go check the archive on SAABnet on the door lock fuse blowing. I once had the power window fuse kept blowing on my (wrecked) 94cs. It was due to a bad reverse switch on the s speed transmission. Replacing the switch fixed it. I am sure there is a reason for this but do not know the solution.

Reply to
yaofeng

Ok...thanks for the info.

Reply to
wemic

The door lock fuse issue is resolved. both rear passenger door locks opened with a lot of effort. A good blast of WD40 in all doors got the actuators moving freely, changed up all the interior light bulbs and the fuse problem no longer exists. I cycled the lock about 20 times. We'll see if it holds out tomorrow.

The radio issue is the same. I did the key in the ignition thing, carefully entered the code and no joy. Perhaps the radio has had it? It strange b/c the dealer said the radio was working before they put in a new battery in preparation for my pickup of the car. I pulled the radio and rechecked the PU# with a local dealer, so the code is right. There are a couple of fuses at the back of the radio harness. I'm wondering if they might have anything to do with this.

Reply to
wemic

When you turn the radio on does "code" appear? If it does, you didn't have the correct code. Remember three strikes you wait an hour with key in, ignition on.

Reply to
yaofeng

Yes, code appears. I verified the code I have with a Saab dealer over the phone and they told me I have to correct number and we did a read-back. There must be something wrong with this thing that it's not registering my input. I'm a bit PO'ed at this point. Never had this problem with the '89 900 I just dumped.

Reply to
wemic

...am I missing something here? Is the radio currently fitted to the car a genuine Saab item (e.g. Clarion or whatever)? Could it be that the code the owner and dealer *have* the right code, but it's not for this radio? Reason I ask is that the radio (Clarion I believe) in my 9000 doesn't just say 'Code', it says 'Code in'. Just a thought.....

Reply to
Pidgeonpost

It's a Clarion made for Saab it says. This is a real mystery. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the unit. I did the power on for an hour thing last night and it continued to beep. I pulled it and I have it sitting here on my desk this morning. Perhaps that will work. At lunchtime, I'm going to go out and fiddle with it some more.

Reply to
wemic

OUCH! That crap turns into gum as it dries. Get a real lubricant in there before it does. It's a reasonably good Water Displacer, and lousy at anything else.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

What would you suggest?

Reply to
wemic

Can I ask which part of the doors you tried to lubricate? My driver's door is starting to stick (one of the rear ones is already stuck shut) & I'm not sure where the actuators are..??

Cheers

Reply to
Nasty Bob

For the rear doors, I gave a blast into the hole where the child safety switch is (read that somewhere). I really worked it around a bit as the actuators seem to be located right around there. For the front doors, I sprayed down the lock tabs themselves and some in the crack by the frame of the door.

Reply to
wemic

OK Cheers - I'll give that a go at the weekend

Reply to
Nasty Bob

I think on that model if the wrong code is entered more than three times it must be reset. I don't remember how you do that but it involved holding down a certain button or buttons.

Hope this helps

Dave

wemic wrote:

Reply to
news.alltel.net

I resolved this issue by picking up a Sony head unit and wiring harness from Crutchfield. I'm cruising with tunes though I'm getting a bit of rattle out of one of my rear speakers. I'll be replacing that pair. The front pair still sounds really good.

Reply to
wemic