CODE to un-immobilise the car

in my wisdom i decided to find out how to set the date and time on my

535i, that worked, good, what's this code thingy!!! had to find out, pressed code and a couple of buttons, not sure what was going on so turned off the key, huh! turned off the ignition, doesn't that set the code to whatever it was you had just pressed. if so what the hell did i press before turning it off. anyway, it now wants a code to start, any ideas how this can be reset without having to put in the code in the first place...like battery disconnect, does this work. any info would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

Reply to
altcon53

in article snipped-for-privacy@w1g2000prk.googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com at snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote on 7/19/08 2:00 AM:

repeat the proceedure backwards what you did ... without thinking and without prior intelligence.

that idiot in the white house does the same thing over WMDs, mission accomplished, not connecting the dots, poor IQ, jump into without seeing.

He has a super vision problem as he is stuck in his toddler tantrum.

This is easy to fix, but it hurts like hell.

The good news is that your future education will be cheaper ... as plan 2 is try towing your car to a certified BMW mechanic.

Your backyard mechanic days are over with this car.

sumbuddie wear blind sea

:(

Reply to
Alan B. Mac Farlane

You are an idiot.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

CODE, displayed on the radio face means the radio thinks it's in the middle of being stolen. Well, it thinks it has been stolen and installed into another car. The person that owns the car resumably has the Radio Manual, and there is a credit card sized card in it with a 5 digit number.

You get three chances to input the correct code, then the radio refuses to accept any new input. To clear the counter and get three more tries, turn the ignition to ON but not START, and leave it for about an hour. While the car is in this mode, look for the Radio Manual in the packet of manuals. The radio manual is a separate manual from the Owner's Manual for the car.

If you locked the car with the key at some point in your adventures, then reached in the window to open the door, then got in and tried to use the key to start the car, you are being locked out of the START cycle by the ignition bypass that is part of the Central Locking System. To recover from this one, you have to use the key to unlock the door to turn the central locking off.

Whatever the problem is, the CODE is only for the radio to prevent theft. There is no direct link between this and the car's refusal to start.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

With the word code flashing put in your 4 digit code you used to lock it and press the set button. It will now allow you to start the car.

Reply to
CFL

Nice response but he said he didn't know what buttons he pressed so your answer is correct but useless in this case unless you know the numbers he pressed and in what order.

Reply to
hsg

I have completely forgotten about that feature. I thought of CODE on the radio face, but he's playing with CODE in the On Board Computer.

Sorry for my confusion.

I'd like to suggest a test that a thief would not have time to do in order to steal the car.

Turn the Ignition to ON but not START, and leave it for an hour to see if the CODE resets.

My thinking is along the lines of the radio CODE that gives three attempts then locks out. To get three more tries, the ignition has to be set ON for about an hour. (I had my radio get hosed by my wife and daughter, and they plugged in all kinds of key presses before telling me. I forget how long I had to leave the key to ON before the attempt counter was reset so that I could put in the right CODE, but the procedure did the trick.)

Since the CODE in the OBC is a User Setting, it makes sense that leaving the key to ON for an hour would remove any user input and allow normal operation to resume.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

(..../) Irony meter pegged.

Reply to
dizzy

No, he has put the disabling code into the OBC. It has nothing to do with the radio.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes or so (might only take a few but what the hell). If the radio is the original BMW unit, you will need the code for the radio or it will not work as has been discussed here. The OBC code disable feature is kinda neat but it's use is minimal. After you input the wrong code 3 times or try to start the car 3 times, it will flash the lights and sound the horn for 30 seconds. Car WILL NOT start until you turn it off.

Reply to
Michael Yeager

I'm a little late on the uptick, but I figured that out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's a nice way of admitting that you're a moron, Jeffy.

Reply to
dizzy