'94 900S - How to remove dash

I need to get behind the dash to fix/replace the SID and some other stuff.

How do I remove the dash?

Thanks,

-- Don

Reply to
don.schenck

NEVER MIND.

Saabnet is my new friend!

-- Don

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
don.schenck

I felt that way too until I heard about the "moderator"'s habit of banning and purging posts from people who dared to disagree with him. Good luck though.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

He even censors the word "censor" :-)

Reply to
- Bob -

I recommend you purchase a Haynes Manual to do this job. You will still spend some time looking for all the screws. I forget how many there are (9? 12?) but you have to locate them all.

Onto more specifics

- you can pull the SID and the radio without removing the dash as well as just about everything else except the instrument cluster.

- the dash pull and re-install takes about 4 hours to do (consider yourself warned :-).

- Put wire ties into the vents and around those little grids and tie them tight at the top and bottom. Get it around the center/cross bar and it will hold the assembly together.

Reply to
- Bob -

I can pull the radio without pulling the dash?

Sweet.

Time to break down and get that Haynes manual ...

Thanks gang.

-- Don

- Bob - wrote:

Reply to
don.schenck

The radio is easy to pull, as is the SID once the radio is out.

To get the radio out go to AutoZone or Pep Boys or some other consumer-oriented auto parts store and purchase "radio removal tools". You'll get a pair of U-shaped wires about the gauge of a wire coat hanger. These get inserted into the holes along either side of the radio, then bow them outwards and pull on them at the same time.

Once the radio is out (doesn't even have to be disconnected), recah your hand in, back behind the cage that holds the radio, and reach your fingers upwards. You should feel the back of the SID or the wiring harness for the SID. Pull that towards you, and the SID should just pop right out.

If it's been awhile since the radio's been out, you might have to coax it out from behind just like you did the SID. The way to do that is from the opening below, which is where the climate control is. If you have the automatic, then it's easily removed by removing one of the blank plugs below it, and reaching your finger in and pushing it out. If you have the manual climate control, I can't help you b/c I've never worked on one of those.

Good luck,

-cj

Reply to
chris.cleeland