96 9000 aero (Intermittant hard starting on hot days)

My car starts and runs great if it is cool outside. The past few weeks in Seattle it has been in the upper 70's and 80's. Intermittently my car cranks over and will not start. Then I wait and talk to it for a few minutes and it starts. It has only failed when it has been parked in the sun. It has never done this in my garage or on cooler days. I replaced the fuel pump, relay and check valve about six months ago due to a total pump failure. I also have had a new strange problem with my instrument panel going dead, including the clock. The car keeps running. I pull over and restart it and everything is fine. No blown fuses, new fuel filter and no logged or active faults. I have had lots of nice long talks with the car trying to convince it to stop this. I am stuck. Anyone have any ideas? 80,000 miles. Thanks

Reply to
S Moe

Sounds like a classic case of ignition switch failure, Regards, Tom.

Reply to
saabtech

Actually, no it doesn't. At least from my own experience, it has always been no starter engagement when the switch is bad (twice now). But I suppose it's possible that a different pair of contacts have gotten gummed up...

I managed to open one of them (deilicate affair) and clean the goopy grease out and the switch worked fine afterward.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Reply to
saabtech

Reply to
S Moe

Ever hear of a tune up?

Park the shitbox and come inside!

Steph

Reply to
Steph

Please define "tune up" as it applies to a '96 Saab 9000 Aero, in your mind.

Yeah, that's helpful advice.

Does it sputter at all, or just crank merrily along doing nothing?

How about after you've been driving it for a while - park, go in to the store, get something, come back out? Does it not work well then as well? (I'm thinking "Warm start" type things)

Does that still have two pumps? Which one did you replace?

Does that also seem to be heat related?

You've tried swearing, right? Perhaps one of our Swedish participants can provide some Swedish swear words if the English ones aren't helping.

Do you have any insight into why the fuel pump failed; dirty fuel, or jsut "stuff happens", or ??? Was there crap in the filter, or did you just replace it because it was the right time to do it?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Reply to
Scott Moe

Having two simultaneous problems explains why the symptoms didn't make entirely a lot of sense.

OK, yes, that is logical that heat would make that problem worse. Remember, right below that switch, is the catalytic converter. Thank you very much for posting your findings, it helps all of us if we see this problem again.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz