ABS indicator

The ABS indicator light on my 1993 9000 CSE comes on when staring first time in the morning, it sometimes stays on while driving off. However, this might not happen from the following starts during the day.

Reply to
johannes

This may be more serious but check the sensors first. Measure the resistance at the sensor connections for 800 to 1400 ohms. The front sensor connectors are located on either side of the fish tank. The rear sensor connectors are beneath the rear seat cushion.

Reply to
yaofeng

Thx, but was is the fish tank?

Reply to
johannes

I take you meant where? The space behind the engine and in front of the foot well wall is called the aquarium. Open hood. Remove six or seven screws on the plastic panel in front of the windshield to reveal the fish tank.

Reply to
yaofeng

Ahh I zeeee

Reply to
Johannes Andersen

Are you sure this is a problem? My '92 900 always did this (about 1 minute for a cold start) in the 5 years I had it, and I just replaced it with a '91 which does it as well.

Robobass

Reply to
robanzellotti

I had a '92 and a '93 9000 (both w/ ABS of course) and neither of them ever behaved this way. The ABS light should come on at starting and go off within a few seconds. You should not have to move before the light goes off. Diagnosing the problem may be tricky until the unit fully fails. So long as the ABS light does go off eventually I guess I would just continue to monitor it.

Reply to
Fred W

It's quite likely that the ABS is ineffective during the time when the light is on. I.e. indicators do mean something.

There was one a story when right tank in an passenger airline showed empty, the captain thought it was a software error, so they opened a valve to the left tank to satisfy the software. Unfortunately there was a hole in the right tank, so they lost all fuel. However, they did manage to glide the plane to a nearby airport, but only got one chance of landing...

Reply to
johannes

[...]

The ABS light tends to stay on during the first journey of the day, then goes off at the next journey.

Reply to
johannes

Oh, that's not so good then. I'd have it diagnosed first thing in the morning by leaving it at the mechanic's overnight. Of course you realize that as soon as it gets to the mechanic's it will stop acting up until you bring it back home. ;-)

Reply to
Fred W

But that has it's positive side... It recently went through MOT, it happened just as you said :-)

Reply to
johannes

The mechanic plugged in some diagnostic display, it showed that one rear wheel ABS sensor was bad. Had it replaced today.

Reply to
johannes

I just wanted to mention that I was able to repair a sensor and save myself EUR150. It was the cable and not the sensor itself that had failed. I spliced in a length of coax guitar cable. Worked like a charm! Robobass

Reply to
robanzellotti

If you compare this to the days before ABS was even available, of course it is not a problem. In fact in New Jersey the State inspection does not care if you have ABS or not. But it could potentially save your life in out of control spin out while your are driving. You brake still works with ABS not functioning.

Reply to
yaofeng

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@q66g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

YEah right... and next time you have a silly little collision with a lot of damage to someone elses car, the insurance company finds the guitar cord and refuses to pay? Hm.... :-( Not my way of "fixing" a safety-device on my car.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard