ABS light stays on most of the time.

Normally when I start my 1993 Grand Am 3.3, I hear a click and the ABS light goes off after about 2 seconds and stays off. But now it only does this until the motor warms up, then, no click sound and the ABS light stays on all day. Next morning, exact same scenario. No trouble codes showing up. How can I fix this?

Reply to
DB

How did you attempt to pull ABS codes? The only way I know of is with a Tech 1. Only the ECM can flash codes, not the EBCM.

In any event if the click you hear is from the ABS hydraulic unit, and you're saying that it (the pump motor) doesn't click when the ENGINE, (and the engine compartment) is warm, than I would suspect the problem is there, in the hydraulic unit.

But, since the price of a reman hydraulic unit is $1,667.59 at NAPA, I might just accept that the ABS is dead on your antique GA.

Or, you could try flushing all the fluid, and cycling the pump with jumper wires, and cleaning the electrical connections, and it might come back to life for a year.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

On my '95 TranSport one of the gears came off its motor in the ABS unit. Took it apart to find out what was wrong - fixed it and put it back together. After the ABS unit started working I was able to find the blown brake line - - - - - - - . Up until then, I had no rear brakes, and no indication other than the ABS light on. No fluid loss, pedal hard and high.

Reply to
clare