Advice: Reverse pops out on 1992 Saab 900S -- big problem?

I'm considering buying a 1992 Saab 900S turbo convertible. Nice car in great shape, but reverse has to be held down. Or else it pops out of gear. It's a five speed. Is this a show-stopper? Should I not buy the car with this problem? First time Saab owner (maybe). Thanks.

Reply to
madison41

I happen to drive a 1992 900S (non-conv though). Great car, fun to drive. Not quite as peppy as the turbo, but the 2.1L engine can still be fun, and it handles very nicely.

Mine is a 5 speed also, but it doesn't have that problem. I think it's related to people putting the car into reverse while the transmission is still spinning (there's no synchro on the reverse gear). That's my understanding of it anyway.

Assuming that all the other gears seem fine, I think it should be ok (opinion comes with no warranty etc). I recall reading about a fix for R popping out that didn't involve dropping the transmission...

Go to townsendimports.com, and navigate to "technical documents" ->

"transmission."

John

Reply to
John B

I have fixed this on another '92. No biggie as long as it shifts smoothly and is quiet.

Regards,

KeithG

madis> I'm considering buying a 1992 Saab 900S turbo convertible. Nice car in

Reply to
KeithG

Thanks John and Keith. Good info. I did buy the car and love it. Other gears work fine. It's a 1992 covertible turbo with just 58 orig. miles. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reply to
madison41

Hmm, so it's an 'S' and a turbo? I thought it was either/or...

John

Reply to
John B

A 900 turbo -- no S, I guess.