Which SAAB?

OK, that's IT! I have had enough of my 9000CSE 2.3 FPT costing me money. £500 to get it through the MOT is the final straw....

I want another car. My lovely wife started the SAAB thing with her NG 900S, which hasn't cost us a fortune to run and is frankly one of the best cars we've ever owned.

What should I do, my budget is frankly limited to around £2-3K depending on what I get for the 9000, I'm guessing between £1.5 and £2k if I'm lucky...

I fancy a 93, but the pennies won't stretch, maybe a late NG900XS? (what does NG stand for? I know it refers to the newer GM shape, but what do the letters stand for!)

I don't want to get hit with 9000 bills again, so the only alternative is a good C900, but it would have to last me three years without any major rebuilds, on about 10,000miles a year. I used to own a C900 8v, and I do miss her...

I could buy a vectra I suppose.....;-)

Your opinions are sought, and as always appreciated,

Al

(Anyone want's to take on my moneypit? let me know!)

Reply to
Al

You sure about that? I looked at a perfectly decent 9^3 (1 owner, 85k) going for £3200 a week or so ago.

IMHO this is a much better car than the NG900 or the 9^3. I have not been impressed by any of the NG900s or 9^3s I've driven.

And save yourself quite a bit of money. If you are thinking of a 9^3, this is not as silly as it seems. Sure, you won't get the great Saab engine, but they are quite comparable in terms of driving experience.

Reply to
Grunff

NG = New Generation; not an official SAAB designation.

C = Classic; also not an official SAAB designation.

NB: There was (at least in Sweden) a C900 sold with the marking 900C, where C means Carburator.

/Bengt

Reply to
Bengt Österdahl

You could say NG means "No Good" :-) We could beat this like a "Found On Road Dead" FORD. Been there and done that with both a Ford and NG900.

Classic may not be official, but it fits!

Reply to
ma_twain

Reply to
JackF

Yeah, loads of those, like "Fix It Again Tony", or for those of us who remember them the Austin Allegro, AKA All rust and agro! (Agro short for Agrivation)

I know we've had this conversation before, but our experience of the NG900 is all good (so far!)

Yeah, I'd worked that out, but was thrown by the NG!

Reply to
Al

Bad luck, I have to say my old 9000i was the least expensive to run of all the saabs I've owned, (bar my 99's...)

A good late 900 LPT would be a safe choice.

I think the NG900's are fairly reliable - just a fairly stodgy drive by Saab standards...

Reply to
dick

I had a '94 900S and it ran well ( however, non turbo = no fun) with very few repairs.... though GM's influence was apparent on that car ( inferior struts etc.).

In spite of what I read in this news group, and I'm a past owner of five

900C's including an SPG, I like the newer NG or 9-3 better ( with the exception of the SPG which I still wish I had). The 900C was a great car, but it was time for Saab to update it, and I think they did a good job all things considered.

I now drive a 9-5 wagon ( with some upgrades) as an alternative to an SUV or mini van. It's been a great car so far typical of most of my Saabs .If I was looking for a car, I would buy a 9-3 with no hesitation.

Reply to
BL

My 94 NG900 had "stealth mode". It would cut off all electrical power while driving, lights included and slowly coast to a stop. Not a good thing to happen at highway speeds at night.

My other Saab - - is a C900 SPG :-)

BL wrote:

Reply to
ma_twain