What used SAAB Convertible to Buy? Advice

Can you give me your best advice on what year (think 1994-1999) SAAB convertible to buy? I really am very concerned with the repair records of these cars, and the expense of repair.

I owned a 1982 SAAB turbo many years ago; I loved it and hated it. The drive, design, and room were great! The repair costs were a nightmare; new turbo, axel, boots, muffler etc.... I swore never again.

Well I purchased (very inexpensive) 1990 BMW 325i convertible last year as a run around fun car. It really is allot of fun, but was beat up and not practical for the new seats, shocks, brakes, roof repairs it needs. Well, I decided to get a newer BMW 325i convertible or a SAAB convertible. I prefer the front wheel drive and the front seating of a SAAB, but I'm still concerned about part failure rates and associated costs.

I realize this is a SAAB enthusiast group, so don't get harsh because I was considering a used BMW. I just would love to get your insight to the SAAB Convertible between 1994 and 1999....and the best way to avoid getting a dud.

Thanks in advance. Matt

Reply to
Matthew

Definately a 1994 (classic) 900 is what _I_ would buy . Why? Because it is the most beautiful car ever built (of course).

-------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH

Buy a '98 or newer. All the issues were worked out by '98. The '99 supposedly has fewer moving parts in the 'vert roof. Look for the usual stuff: oil leaks under engine, oddly worn tires, etc. Drive it and make sure it's smooth with no vibration when accelerating. Clutch should be smooth. Depending on miles you might need a clutch , brakes, etc - like any car.

I don't know where you are located, but if you take a look in today's posts you'll see that Fred W - a frequent poster here - has a 2000 for sale.

Reply to
Bob