Aircon & Ariel Questions

Hi all, I just became the proud owner of a 93 9000 CS, but it has a couple of things that i wish to attend to. First - the A/C was not working when i got it, and, on using the car in hot weather, i turned the blower on and it never "blew" until it got to the highest setting. I am ASSUMING this has something to do with the A/C problem. I also noticed that, when i turn it to its highest setting esp when idling, the tickover dies to about 600 revs, then returns to its usual 1000 or just below. Kinda strange huh? Any ideas?

Also, the electric ariel makes all the right noises, but the mast doesnt retract, so i have to manually up and down it. The question is, would i "get away" with just a new mast, or do i have to replace the whole unit - motor and all?

TIA Teleman

Reply to
Teleman

More likely the resistor pack that sets the slower speeds. These often fail.

Normal.

The *aerial* doesn't have a seperate 'mast' AFAIK. Get a new aerial on ebay - they're advertised often enough.

for example

Graahm

Reply to
Pooh Bear

I'd guess the nylon worm inside has snapped. Happens. Easy to pull the mast, eject the bits and insert new mast & it will then work (as long as there isn't a stray bit left inside). Cheers

Reply to
hippo

The compressor clutch has been energized so the compressor is started. The increased load drops the revs until the control system picks it up again.

If you can locate it at a used parts dealer, I believe that your problem is a perforated or slotted plastic strip with which the motor gear engages. It is stripped. You may be able to but this from Saab.

At least this was my experience.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm William Mason

I thought that was what happened !!! :) But, on doing some research, i found the cost of a new mast to be £22, while the cost of a new unit (OK - its a generic one, not a genuine Saab part) costs only £25

Teleman

Reply to
Teleman

Maybe the nylon gear strip of the mast is broken. You can buy an OEM replacement mast but it is likely to be more expensive than a complete regular, non OEM, motor antenna.

I had to replace the antenna mast after the garage door caught it... The replacement mast (by Hirschmann) cost E40, a complete new 'nameless' antenna from a parts shop was only E21. (I have fitted one on my Sonett as well.)

Reply to
MH