Electric Ariel Not Working

Hi, Just wondering if someone can help me find out why my electric ariel has suddenly stopped working. My car is a "M reg" 95 ..w124 everything was fine, but now it's stuck in the fully extended position. I have checked the Fuse in the fuse box and it is fine, are there any in line fuses anywhere? I have also had someone turn the radio on and off whilst I was holding the ariel, but I couldn't feel or hear any mechanical noises, which makes me think it's a power problem. If it is the ariel itself are they easy to change? Many Thanks Robert

Reply to
Robert Thompson

Very easy to change. Most of them get full of water over time. The drain hole at the bottom of the motor has a tube that gets kinked by stuff moving around in the boot and hitting it.

Stick your head in the boot below the aerial and get someone to switch the car radio on/off/on - you should hear the relay click. If you hear the click followed by a brief rattle, then aerial is likely jammed. A click followed by nothing is probably the inline fuse, on the wire next to the aerial, or a knackered motor. No click indicates a probable wiring problem, or a faulty relay.

A jammed aerial can often be freed by just gently pushing it into the retracted position. Make sure you push straight down, any sideways movement will buckle the tubular aerial elements.

Reply to
Alexander S. Wood

Alec,

Many Thanks for the advice, I'm going out to try it right now.

Reply to
Robert Thompson