Anti Siphone Valve

I own a 2000 9-5 2.3LPT, and recently replaced the fuel filter with an OEM replacement ( not from the dealer). The engine now has to crank several times before it fires. I suspect that the old fuel filter had an anti siphone valve while the new filter does not. Has anyone else had this experience?

I guess it's off to the dealer for a new filter. There must be a lesson to be learned here??

Reply to
BL

"BL" skrev i melding news:LRzjd.4415$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

I experienced the same after replacing the filter on my 1988 9000 this summer. It now starts just like it did before. Try giving it a month before you decide to replace it with a dealer filter.

Kristian

Reply to
Kristian Steve Jensen

The dealer gets his filter from Bosch. It is a simple deal with a paper filament and threaded fittings. Nothing special. No valve that I am aware of. The fueltank bulkhead for the fuel pump has a checkvalve to keep the line pressurized (at least on my 900 and 9k and it appears so in the EPC for the 2k 9^5). This may be weak or there may be a leak at the other end of the line on the fuel pressure regulator. Either way if it is not a prolonged cranking, it fires at 5-7 cranks, that will not stress the starter motor too much I would think.

$0.02 KeithG

Kristian Steve Jensen wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

"Kristian Steve Jensen" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

Yes, might be a little air in the filter, that gradually needs to go through the fuelhose and engine, before it works a 100%.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

I know that some oil filters have a check valve (a rubber flap) that prevents the filter from draining back into the sump when the engine is shut off. These filters should be used, especially if the filters are in a horizontal position as on the V4s. If these filters are not used, the engine will be cranking without oil supply/pressure to the crank- and camshaft bearings during the first seconds, as the oil filter has to be filled up first. This will lead to more engine wear.

How long does it now take for the oil pressure light to go off? (Even better: fit an oil pressure gauge.)

It should make no difference to the time it takes to fire though.

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

MH