APC From C900

Can anyone help, i am after a apc for my saab 20 turbo 92 model, has anyone got the part number so i can find one, thanks

Reply to
mikenem

in article snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, mikenem at snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote on 26/09/2006 19:59:

137007001 - 175 BHP T16 ... Depends on market 8664814 - 185 BHP 1990-1993 T16 without Cat - UK/Europe 9119330 - 160 BHP 1993 - US?

Give us a clue ... Where are you and what designation is your car? Full pressure? Light pressure? "SPG" :lol

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Hi, its a 1992 9000 2ltr lpt, I've had a post that a apc from a c900 will give more power and quickness (i don't know much about this myself just trying to get as much info as poss). Any help or/and knowledge would be appreciated, up to now i have fitted a induction filter, ecotec valve and custom cat back stainless exhaust. Not drove car yet since fitted ecotec valve as i have fitted a 1988 Carlson bodykit(wasn't easy) and working on rebuilding front bumper. I live in Manchester England, Thanks for any help. Mike

Reply to
mikenem

Sorry i forgot to mention how would i change my lpt to a fpt as ive been told the turbo is the same or is that what the apc will do? thanks again.

Reply to
mikenem

in article snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com, mikenem at snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote on 27/09/2006 19:26:

Your APC box can be tuned by yourself, or someone with knowledge of how to use a multimeter. Check out

... Enjoy :) I'm sorry, but I don't know much about the 9000. I'll bow out at this point.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

ok sounds good,looked at site thanks i think the local scrap yard has a

9000 lpt i think ill go down and get the apc of that if its the same and play with that one thanks Anyone else with advice?
Reply to
mikenem

The APC system retrofit involves fitting all the sensors and loom connected to the APC. Also you will need the intercooler from a fpt (Full Pressure Turbo) to do the job as, amonst other things, the APC will be finding detonation issues without the intercooler to bring air temp down. In fact, if you want a cheap, easy and very notable power increase then forget the APC for the time being then an intercooler (with all the pipework connecting) from a scrapped fpt may give up to 30bhp if done with the right actuator and fueling adjustments. The setup from a 9000 lpt cannot be fitted, different management system entirely and all but the last ones didn't have intercoolers anyway. Not sure if you may get away with the APC from an early 9000 turbo (up to '91)

As a side pointer, if you are an enthusiastic driver and up to a fairly easy DIY install, a popular upgrade is to fit the intercooler from a Volvo 700 series turbo as this is thin enough to fit in front of the radiator (make sure your rad has the double fan setup) but has a large surface area so it doesn't suffer from the heatsoak problem that the standard one does with heavy use.

cheers

Ken

Reply to
Ken (the sane one)

Appologies for not only replying to my own post(!) but for misreading your original ones.

You have an early 9k lpt - sloping fronted type I'd guess. I see why you had issues with the Carlsson kit, for ease of fitting you'd require the front bumper from either the same age 2.3 Carlsson hatch or from a Carlsson saloon (CD Carlsson).

As I stated in my misguided post before, the very last 9000lpt had an intercooler but it is the same unit as fitted to fpt cars. For ease of fitting I'd find a complete intercooler kit from an '86 -'92 fpt (or up to '94 if it's from a CD saloon). As for your engine management system, I'm not sure what your car has fitted. The same age FPT has a very 'hybrid' engine management which is part APC (Automatic Power Control) and part 'Trionic' which is the system fitted to all 9000's after '93 (even non turbo), the management from this cross-over year is rather unreliable. Trionic is a difficult retrofit especially if the vehicle in question has the optional factory alarm/imobiliser which is part of the management system.

cheers

Ken

Reply to
Ken (the sane one)

Sorry to butt in but is the intercooler you are talking about one that looks like an upside-down volvo intercooler? If so, I saw a saab 9000t (transversal engine setup) with the said intercooler and all the pipes are still in place.

Problem is that J/Y has no price list, so he charges whatever he feels doing so that day. :P

Reply to
Mauricio Tavares

in article RL1xh.215628$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe16.lga, Mauricio Tavares at snipped-for-privacy@ftc.gov wrote on 03/02/2007 15:21:

Are you thinking of using this intercooler on a classic 900? The 9000 intercooler and the Volvo (740?/940?) intercoolers are quite popular on C900s. That said, they're not very efficient and you do need to hack about with all sorts of things and perform off convoluted pipe routing.

There are better intercoolers out there, but if you can get it cheap, it's not a bad thing to do.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday