Coolant Replacement in 199, 9-3

Hi,

I had to remove both radiators off the car, in order to get to a broken power steering pipe to replace it.

Everything is back on the car now and I'm ready to start it up, but I was wondering if there's anything I should be aware off coolant-wise. Should I use Saab only, or can I use GM stuff from Canadian Tire?

Also, the only way I understand to fill up the rads is through the expansion bottle, right?

Thanks, Ben

Reply to
Ben

Stick with the SAAB stuff if you can get it. It is much better than the generic green goo.

Correct. Just fill it slowly and squeeze, massage the hoses to try and work all the air out.

Reply to
Fred W

I ended up getting the Saab green stuff (AC Delco) from the dealer - I had green in the car when I flushed - the dealer (2 of them) tell me that the original in 9-3 (Canada) was green...

Done and working well.

Thanks for answering!

Ben

Reply to
Ben

I ended up getting the Saab green stuff (AC Delco) from the dealer - I had green in the car when I flushed - the dealer (2 of them) tell me that the original in 9-3 (Canada) was green...

Done and working well.

Thanks for answering!

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Hmmm. This is new, or else different north of the border. SAAB coolant is blue in these parts. I just bought 2 gallons a week or two ago and it's still blue. Maybe this is part of the changeover influenced by GM? First the oil filters and now this? Sheesh...

Reply to
Fred W

I'd be worried about that too. Green is usually Prestone type high silicate, high phosphate - bad for Saabs. Did he sell you Saab coolant or some GM product for American cars ? Saab coolant should come in a saab logo bottle.

Reply to
- Bob -

It should be SAAB blue.

The green must be some GM brand crap that is the same as Prestone, etc. I would not use that coolant in ANY SAAB. If a dealership put that stuff in my car I would not bring it there for service anymore.

Reply to
Fred W

\ I know this has been talked about before in many threads, but it's still confusing to me what color coolant goes which what model/year. Some people say blue/red some green, some pink, etc.

In my case I called up two dealers and they both said they only put in green for a 1999, 9-3 (B204L).

I *is* GM stuff clearly indicated on the jug (AC Delco). That's what I put in now.

I would change it (since 2 flushes never hurt) to a more "Saabish" coolant if I'd new what to get for sure, yet you see my dilemma.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Ben

Reply to
Ben