B202/B234 compatibility

Hi,

what are the main difference between the B202 and the B234 engine? as far as i know, in the head just the 2 balance shafts, but i could also take them out and have the oil lines for the plugged right? they engines have a different stroke, so i guess it wouldnt give me any performance if i were to put a B234 head on my B202 engine, i would have to change the rods too or am i wrong? thing is i want to upgrade to 2.3, but i would like to NOT have to take the engine out of the car..

bye

simon

Reply to
Simon Putz

That doesn't seem an easy thing to do. The strokes are 78mm and 90mm respectively. So if you change the crankshaft, the pistons will go

6mm higher in the cylinders. If you're using many parts of the B234, you might as well use a complete engine.

Seems simpler to chip the B202 for more power. Just my penny's worth, I wouldn't dream of doing radical engine surgery myself.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

There are quite a number of differences. One major difference is that the B2x4 engine is straight and the B202 engine is "bent" (looks like a V8 engine with one cylinder bank removed). _ / | |o) / / _| | / / (o| | / \ / \ | O | | O | \_____/ \_____/

B202 B204/B234/B205/B235

[ View figure using a fixed width font (e.g. Courier) ]

This difference means that if you try to mount a B234 engine on the gearbox of a classic 900 the engine will stand straight up (need a bulge in the hood) and the crankshaft of the B234 will hit the C900 gearbox.

Just replacing the cylinder head will not increase the volume from

2.0 to 2.3 liter. To get 2.3 liter you have to change the crankshaft and and piston rods, but if you have a classic 900 then this change will make the crankshaft hit the gearbox.

If the problems described above isn't enough there are also many other problems as various dimensions and shapes are completely different.

Reply to
Goran Larsson

Heads from early 234 are a straight swap, same as 212. Engines a no go as the crank will hit the top of the GB if you try to mate a 234 to a 202 gearbox.

Matt Will reply in more detail tomorrow. Party + to much Bubbley

Reply to
**-**

Hey guys,

thanks for the replies so far, i was planning to do this on my 9K, so the space problem is eliminated..., but it sounds like too much work anyways, i will better invest the money in tuning the B202, but first i have to fix my broken (yea *BROKEN APART*) driveshaft flange...

Reply to
Simon Putz