C900 dangling connector

Just finished up the head gasket replacement on the '88 900S 16V, I was pleased to find a nice big crack in the gasket between a coolant passage and the cam chain galley, but everything else seemed to be in great shape. Got it all finished up and driving tonight, runs great. Flushed the coolant and filled it with a mix of Mercedes antifreeze so hopefully this gasket will last a while. Now there's just one thing I'm puzzled by, there's a 2 prong connector dangling on a wire above where the clutch is, my friend and I looked everywhere and can't find a place to plug it in and neither of us recalls whether it was dangling free like that before. Anyone know what that's for?

Reply to
James Sweet

My daughter's 1993 2.1L 900i had just the same thing. Doesn't seem very important as I found the same thing having done a head job on her car two years ago! Must be needed on a different model.

Reply to
Richard Sutherland-Smith

Where, specifically? On a corner, maybe? I haven't seen one fail there before, so just out of personal curiousity, I'd like it if you'd describe the location.

Radiator fan? Can you describe the shape of the connector? The rad fan connector is a d-shaped with 2 round pins maybe 2mm in diameter each?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'm guessing the wire could be for an Auxiliary air valve that was fitted to some variants...

Reply to
john

There's a coolant passage very close to the cam chain on the firewall end of the head, it formed a small crack right between that and the space where the chain goes down to the crank. I think we got a picture of the crack, I'll have to get it from the guy who was helping me do the job.

Both fans are plugged in and working. It's the same type of connector that plugs into the idle speed motor except 2 pin instead of 3, it sprouts from the same section of harness.

Reply to
James Sweet

in article 5XnIf.5196$Lr.235@trnddc01, James Sweet at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 14/02/2006 16:54:

I'm not actually familiar with the idle speed motor ... I'm a T8 pilot :) It's not the distributor power supply, is it? The APC solenoid power? Look on top of the radiator.

Curioser and curioser ...

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

Well the car runs fine, so it's not to the distributor, and it's not a turbo so it isn't for the APC. I'm starting to think another poster is correct, that it's for an aux air valve in markets without constant idle.

Reply to
James Sweet

Is it a UK car? I've seen an auto 16v and that had an aux air valve, same with my turbo of the same vintage.

Seems strange that saab didn't fit constant idle to the early 900 16v when my '88 9000i had it.

Reply to
john

My 86 has one in the same area, though the wire is fraying due to age. It is the same style two pin connector you find all throughout the car, on the fog lights, the door lock solenoids the APC.

Jeremy

john wrote:

Reply to
BK

No this is a US car so who knows what differences it may have. In my experience, the US models of European cars tend to be rather fully loaded while in Europe you can find them stripped down.

Reply to
James Sweet