c900 radiator replacement procedure?

Well, my radiator in my '86 900 8-valve went from "iffy" to "broken" this morning...on the way to work, of course. Called the parts guy, he had a new one for me for $160 within the hour (not bad).

I've never, believe it or not, done a radiator in a c900. Naturally aspirated, 8-valve, - anyone have a step-by-step for me? I'll take pics and post a full-blown procedure when I'm done, but any guidance would be appreciated. I'm primarily interested if this is a "3 wrenches and a screwdriver" job in which case I can fix it where it sits, or if this is a bit more complex and I should haul it home first.

Thanks, Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well I've just recently removed the radiator out of my donor C900 just for the sake of it and found that it's actually not too difficult once the hood/bonnet is off the car.

I haven't checked what the Bentley manual says about radiators...

Make sure you use a new mounting kit but the new radiator should in theory come with those bits. I'll get the Saab # for the radiator mounting kit later as I've got one in the shed for when I finally replace the whole upper member on the front of my 900S.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

I'll post my impressions here then. Shouldn't be too bad from the thinks of it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I found once on google, but I don't remember the page. Try finding "c9000 replacement"

Reply to
CatMan

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 28/10/2005 16:52:

Pretty much just slides out. Remove the bonnet first. Note any drill holes on the old one, since you may need to rub a pattern for your replacement radiator.

Keep the old fan thermo-switch, in case your replacement radiator doesn't have one ... You didn't say if the replacement was genuine SAAB, or not. My recent replacement was genuine SAAB, came pre-drilled and had a new fan thermo-switch, already fitted. The rubber ring/seal can be found at most hardware stores in the plumbing section.

While the coolant is drained, it'd be worth removing the major rubber coolant pipework, cleaning up the bosses and replacing the jubilee clips.

I can't believe what a difference a new radiator made. I got my money's worth out of the old one ... Sounds like you have, too :)

Good luck.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

That's like the hood, right? ;)

I was wondering about that part.

It's not, but it has a new thermal switch anyway.

Well, it's in someone else's parking lot right now, and I think I can do it there but I don't want to push it. Of course, new hoses and new clamps.

Well, this one _was_ getting a bit plugged, I think. Car getting awful warm on days when it shouldn't have, that sort of thing. So,...not so bad.

Thanks. If I get anything good picture-wise I'll put up a page or send it to Craig or something.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 29/10/2005 14:13:

I'm sure you know this trick, or have a better one, but lining up paper with a common line on each radiator and then stabbing through the holes works. Just line up the paper on the new one, mark up and drill away. Hopefully, the two are constructed the same or you'll end up with a leaky one :)

Do they know your mechanical skill level? You _could_ be a complete novice and take some time over the job ... ? Nothing a bottle of malt wouldn't smooth over, I'm sure.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

I haven't made that particular mistake ever (yet).

Naah, it's my wife's brother-in-law, he knows I build my whole house so he's cool with that.

Well, I like the guy, but let's get real here... nice bottles of scotch are more for things like engines, than a parking spot for a weekend. If you disagree, I welcome you to park here any time you want. (I like the highlands, usually, just so you know)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

in article snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Dave Hinz at snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote on 29/10/2005 17:52:

If I'm ever in your 'neck of the woods', I'll drop in a few bottles; parking or not.

I'm actually starting to warm to the stuff now ... I must confess to a cunning rouse, whereby whenever I'm among friends or family I tell them that I don't like the stuff and they get out their most prized bottles in an attempt to convince me :)

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

I would be rude to turn such an offering down.

Ah, the "that's because you haven't had good Scotch yet" theory. I do have a fairly good bottle for that purpose, but the really good stuff, that's reserved for people who know and understand it. I'm also currently out of really-good-stuff and am trying to determine the next purchase. But, I just bought a radiator, which wiped out the Scotch fund.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

That's funny. If I hear someone say they don't care for scotch that' my signal to *not* break out the good stuff. ;-)

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I'm with you on that one Fred! Don't waste the good stuff on people who don't like it, let them drink Gin I say!

Al

Reply to
Al