C900 rattle

The question I asked recently about a strange rattle turned out to be a low-cost matter of the exhaust pipes being out of line, apparently due to having been whacked somehow. Some work with a hammer and pry bar cured it. All is well and didn't cost much to cure.

I was told that I have numerous small oil leaks including the transmission, steering, and engine. Is there such a thing as a kit that contains many or all the needed gaskets? I think I can handle the engine gaskets but not certain about the transmission.

I was quote about US$370 for the steering unit. Looking on the Web, I find prices in the $40 to $70 range but I can't tell which one I need. Any thoughts how to determine which one?

Reply to
Everett M. Greene

Those cheap ones are very unlikely to be professionally re-manufactured steering racks. I was quoted about A$1000 to replace a steering rack in my

81 turbo c900 which includes supplying a replacement rack.

If you can, get one of the later steering racks that has a cast-steel pinion housing as they're going to last longer and leak less than the earlier racks with cast aluminium pinion housings.

Craig.

Reply to
Saab C900 Viggenist