Pilkington Glass windshield replacement?

Found a crack on Sunday that I traced to a rock hitting my windshield on Friday. Didn't notice anything when the impact (likely kicked up by a Hummer H2).

I asked about OEM (Nippon Glass?), but my insurance company and the installer said it wasn't necessary and they wouldn't cover that. The installer said fit of PPG or Pilkington would be as good as OEM. The final cost was $400 with the windshield ($115), adhesive ($25), moulding ($127), labor ($107), and sales tax.

The advice by the installer was to not wash the car for

24 hours, but the sealant could take rain. It seems to rattle a bit, but I'm thinking that the sealant hasn't fully hardened/cured yet. I was told driving should be OK although it would take about 24 hours to fully cure. The time it was ready to the time I picked it up was about 2-1/2 hours. It might have started curing before that. It's been in the mid-50's (farenheit) today.

I tried posting a version of this earlier, but it may have been lost by Google Groups. I apologize if this is a double post.

Reply to
y_p_w

I'm no expert here, just passing along what I have read. nowadays it is imperative any front or rear windscreen be installed perfectly. If you have the slightest question about the installation, take it back. Up to

40% of some vehicle's structural integrity is in the glass. Could mean your life in a rollover.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Actually - the rattle is probably just prexisting stuff near the glove box. I'm just a little hypersensitive with a new windshield.

Reply to
y_p_w

I'm sure you'll diagnose it correctly and likely they did a good job or will re-do it if there's a problem. I didn't intend to sound 'preachy' but thought others that read here might also like that info. I know I really never gave the issue much thought. good luck

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I've had the Pilkington glass on my WRX and it was fine, no different in appearance or fit from OEM.

Reply to
mulder

I never heard of them before I started researching glass replacement. When my driver's side door on my '85 Acura Integra GS-R was replaced, the auto glass installer didn't hesitate and just ordered OEM (Asahi Glass) complete with an Acura TLC (roadside assistance) sticker.

It sounds like Pilkington may be the largest auto glass manufacturer in the world, with PPG a close second. I was also surprised how little the replacement glass cost. The moulding (probably OEM) was more. I have comprehensive so it was only $100 out of pocket for me.

Reply to
y_p_w