c900 speedo

1990 C900 2L auto. Is the speedo cable driven and if so, is the cable the same as on the pre facelinf 900s please? It's been ticking for a while but working fine until today when it just stopped working. Thought I'd ask the question *before* I pull the instrument panel and maybe find that the spare cable in the shed won't fit! Thanks

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

"hippo" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes.

No idea, but I can't see any reason why not.

You don't need to pull the facia, even on a RHD car. TBH, I'm not even sure it'd make it much easier.

I did mine through the speaker hole and the engine bay. There's a big angled rubber grommet on the bulkhead that you need to remove, then the cable pulls fairly easily into the bay. MAKE SURE YOU'VE ATTACHED A MOUSE OF SOME KIND - I used wire, with a ton of gaffer tape - then when it's all through, just attach the mouse to the new cable and pull it back into the cabin.

It was a surprisingly quick and easy job.

Reply to
Adrian

like they were saying:

Thanks for all that. I'll have a look tonight. Hmmm...even I don't know what a 'facelinf' is! Oops. Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo

It;s likely the gear in the transmission going bad. Easy to change but get one from the same transmission that you have. The auto and manual gear drives are different. Don't ask how I know. Phil Brown

Reply to
philcycles

philcycles May 29, 2008 at 05:52 PM

using

> More information at

Thanks for that. No - it was the cable. The end that clips onto the back of the cable has snapped right through & unfortunately it has a different head from the earlier one that's been sitting in my spares box for about

12 years :(

Thanks to you and Adrian for your input. Cheers

-- Message posted using

information at

hippo