CD Changer Died - 97 900SE

The CD changer in my 97 900SE has stopped working.

If you insert a loaded magazine, it seems to do the appropropriate stuff but pressing the 'CD' button on the radio produces no response whatsoever.

Thoughts?

Mike

Reply to
MJK

Known issue. Open the trunk. Reach down where the cable goes into the CD unit, cram your hand in there, and twist the ring on the cable lock so that you can disconnect (pull out) the cable from the CD changer. It should come out easy. If it doesn't, you are not twisting the ring. It might help to unbolt the unit from the trunk floor the first time you do this to see what you need to do.

Once it's unplugged, leave it that way overnight. Tomorrow morning, before you start the car, plug it back it. You can just push to plug it in, you don't have to twist the little ring. When you start the car, the CD will be back.

Trust me on this one, ignore all the complicated solutions as a first try. I've done them all, replaced the CD changer, the head unit, disconnected batteries, fuses, you name it. The above solution works every time (Yes, you will be doing this again at some randomly chosen time in the future).

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to have a crack at this for a couple of days but I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike

Reply to
MJK

Interesting tip by Bob, will have to remember that. I had the exact same problem on my 97 900SE convert. not long after I bought it used in 2001. It was still under warranty...the dealership had it a few times, ultimately replacing the changer, the head unit, the whole damn thing, etc. Whatever they did finally worked, as I haven't had a single problem with it for well over a year now.

Reply to
Rob

As it turns out, I was able to give this a try sooner than I thought I would.

Just as Bob promised, it worked!

Thanks Bob!

Mike

Reply to
MJK

Glad I could help. Remember it, it will disappear again in a year or so.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob