Considering a '90 900T

The subject heading says it all: tomorrow I'm looking at a '90 900 Turbo, Edwardian Grey. It's in Winnipeg, Manitoba, but it has a US speedometer. No rust, apparently, and the asking price is C$3900 (US$3360). Seems a tad steep, given that the Kelly Blue Book retail resale value is under US$3200, assuming excellent condition. It has leather, moon roof, and some other goodies: power doors & locks, power mirrors, cruise, etc. Unfortunately, it's got an automatic transmission-cause for worry?

Anyway, what are some key things I should look for to determine its condition? I believe it hasn't been driven in some weeks, if not months, and it's been stored outside in the winter. Can anyone help with a checklist of things that are prone to failure or tend to need replacing? What would be a fair price to offer? There aren't many Saabs for sale here, and I'm determined to have one, but I don't want to get ripped off or buy into a headache.

Reply to
commercial_d

" but I don't want to get ripped off or buy into a headache."

Welcome! I understand exactly how you feel. I HATE buying new (old) cars for exactly the same reasons. Others will tell you anything to look out for on that particular model. You see a lot of posts warning about auto boxes, but I think that's just because they're just so expensive to fix if something does go wrong and not because they are especially unreliable. But having bought 2 old high mileage Saab 9000's myself, I always take comfort from a full service history showing that it has been well maintained. Old Saabs are in general well built, not so prone to rusting and the engines are legendary for lasting if they've been looked after. Hopefully the previous owner will have been an enthusiast & taken care of things when they needed done. If it's not practical to have it checked over by your local Saab dealer, then apply the same common sense you would to any other make.

Good luck - I hope it's the one you've been looking for :)

Reply to
Nasty Bob

Funny, a 900 Turbo with an automatic transmission would be a giveaway car in Europe... practically unsellable.

Reply to
MH

Very true, but if it's rust free, I'd still look at it - converting to manual isn't hard, and even if you paid someone to do it for you it wouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

Rust/dent free C900s are getting very thin on the ground.

Reply to
Grunff

Most of the C900's which come up for sale here have auto tranny's. All three of my running C900's have them. Sort of strange how the T37-equipped

900's have gone out of favour. I wonder if the auto-trans NG900's have seem the same fall in resale value compared to their manual-trans cousins...

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Because almost anyone wanting a turbo will want it for the performance. An auto tranny doesn't really go with great performance, especially not an aging 3sp which takes an age to shift up/down.

Reply to
Grunff

It's a cultural thing more than a technical one. But a 900T is much more fun with the 5-speed if you can find it that way. Worth holding out for (or traveling for), IMHO.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I drove a Volvo Turbo once with an automatic and a T3 turbo and it was awful. The lag of the turbo added to the lag of the transmission made it downright scary to pull out into traffic. Once up to speed it was fine, but a manual is the way to go with a turbo IMO, but then I'm biased and like a manual with anything.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have a US spec 1990 900 Turbo Edwardian Grey but mine's a 5-speed...

Reply to
SmaartAasSaabr

I'm a bit surprised at this really. Given that the Garrett T3's have a longer spool-up time that the Mitsubishi TE-05's, how it is really a problem when coupled with a T37 auto trans? Isn't the fact that the transmission will shift gear by itself and maintain an almost continuous power output from the engine to the wheels which also keeps engine revs within a tighter range better for keeping a turbo spooled and operating efficiently?

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site

Drive one and see :-)

Reply to
Grunff

The transmission has a tendency to be very reluctant to let the engine go up into its power band. Most of the time it's pretty sluggish, with lag lag lag.

Reply to
James Sweet

when it shifts it drops out of the rev band that keeps the turbo spooled. And because it has only 3 gears, it drops a long way between shifts.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Ah ok thanks Carl. I wouldn't have thought the rev drop would be enough to upset the turbo's spooling but since it's based on pressure changes, it makes sense.

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's Saab C900 Site