bought a new civic today

So we finally decided to inject some fresh blood into the fleet... I currently have:

98 civic lx 5spd with 290500kms 90 lumina euro with 135000kms 87 prelude with 222000kms

got a 2008 civic lx 4-dr 5 spd for $22608. This included freight/PDI, block heater, floor mats, splash guards, and hood deflector. Not much talking these guys down, they ended throwing in the deflector so I would shut up. He did indicate that there was a $1500 discount available for cash sale.

Ended up leasing, as the current promo is 1.5% interest for 60 months. Payment including 13% Manitoba taxes is $286.08 per month with 0 down. When I bought the 98 civic (bare bones) the payment was $331.48 per month. Primary difference is the interest rate, but you definitely get more car for your money today as opposed to 9 years ago. Residual on the 2008 is $8900.

I'm canadian, so I'm used to getting screwed at the dealer, the same civic in the US goes for $20400. However, the big reason we decided to go with the

5spd was that Transport Canada offers a rebate of $1000 on this car as it is part of the 'ECOAuto' program. So we only ended up taking a $1500 bath which is pretty good compared to some of the stories I have heard. Also, the 2008 civic is not eligible for import due to some minor details on the immobilizer.

We also test drove the Fit, but when comparing a Fit sport to the Civic LX, the payment on the Civic was less due to the interest rate offered. We also didn't like the car nearly as much.

Initial opinion on the civic:

- Handbrake location sucks, but I will get used to it. It hits my right knee as I am a bigger guy.

- Definitely noticed the smoother throttle response, I assume this is the drive by wire in action.

- will take some getting used to the speedo readout. I'm used to a gauge, not a number.

- other than that, it drove pretty much the same as my 98. A little more zip at high RPMs due to VTEC I assume.

Initial opinion on the Fit:

- Clutch pedal placement is terrible. Its very close to the center of the floor, and awkward to press. Its also very close to the brake pedal. Doesn't work too well for a guy with big feet like me.

- Driver position is very high. I liked this.

- RPMs at highway speed very high, 3200 at 100KPH.

- small back seat area when front seats are all the way back.

- had more power than I was expecting, most reviews were not favorable in this regard.

Turned down most of the dealer addons including:

Honda Plus - had this on my 98, never really got my money's worth out of it. Now that I know my way around the civic, I am not concerned in extending warranties.

Rust protection - will do the Tegger thing and get the car crowned myself. I live in Winnipeg, lots of salt, though not as much as Ontario...

Corrosion protection module - For the price of $200 I can get this device that apparently prevents corrosion indefinitely by changing the molecular charge of my car. Anyone know if these actually work? Or do they cause more damage. Was surprised the dealer was offering this, they indicated they have been doing it for 4 years with no problems or dissatisfied customers.

Fabric 'protection' - whatever the hell this is, I told them where to stick it.

I did end up getting the etching done. Not sure if this is worth anything, but it was included in the 'transfer fee' of $299. Total profit for the dealer, I should have balked at this charge more than I did.

Overall, we are happy with the price and value. Great car, we will be getting rid of the Lumina, back to a pure honda fleet.... :) I'm sure the 98 has at least 4-5 more good years left.

Terry in Winnipeg.

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

"loewent via CarKB.com" wrote in news:7d58feae500f1@uwe:

That's 'cause rust takes more than 4 years to show up. The device is snake oil.

It's 3M ScotchGard or equivalent. It's actually a pretty good idea, especially if you regularly have drinks in your car.

Reply to
Tegger

I figured $15 for a couple cans o scotch guard beats their $200 service...

Tegger wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

I'm curious to know why you didnt buy your civic as opposed to leasing .With the great interest rates and I'm assuming better prices from strong canuck dollar you should have been able to to go 5 years @1.9 % with a payment around 420 per mnth --then you own the thing after 5 yrs , nevermind residual or buy out baloney

we leased for 4 then bought ours out and its runs like a top going on 9 years

--but we're likely not leasing next time around cause for an extra 120 a month you can own .

good luck with her though --cant wait to smell that ''new car'' scent myself

loewent wrote:

Reply to
butch33 via CarKB.com

Finance rate was 4.9%. cheaper payment at next to no interest, it doesn't bother me to finance a car out this long when I know it will be on the road

10+ yrs.

butch33 wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com