Considering a used Miata

I'd like to get a 2002-2005 Miata in good shape with low miles. Is there a reliable way to tell if the speedo has been tampered with? What sort of things should I be looking out for on these cars? What options should I look for? I care more about handling than creature comforts. I will not be considering an auto trans.

Also, I've been looking on ebay so far to get a feel for the market. How much difference does the limited-slip make? Does it always come with the

6-speed? I read somewhere that the 5-speed shifts better than the 6. True?

I'm not a mechanic and I'm a bit nervous about buying a used car. But to me the older ones look better. However I think the pre '99 models may be too old and I don't want to deal with any potential complications with the pop-up headlights.

Also I have been told that golf clubs will fit in the trunk of the 99-05 car. True?

Apologies for the barrage of questions. I've always wanted a Miata. I've been lurking here on and off for years. And also miata.net. TIA for any advice.

Reply to
Carbon

Carbon? Is that you?

I own a 1990 and I've found the reliability to be fantastic. Yes, there are now some minor issues that need to be taken care of, but the headlights going up and down is not among them?

I can't speak to the 99-05 Miatas, but I get my clubs into my 1990's trunk. Admittedly, it's a tight squeeze, but the trunk is big enough for the clubs, my shoes, and a few bits and pieces.

Reply to
Alan Baker

The one and only! Alan and I hang out quite a bit down the road at rec.sport.golf. I gotta say I'm relieved golf clubs'll fit in the trunk. I think in the '99 and newer models the spare tire was relocated. I'm hoping I can get both the bag and the pushcart in there.

How many miles are on your 90? One of the reasons I want a Miata is the reputation for reliability is so good. But the real reason is that when I was a kid some guy in town had an Elan. Even up on blocks it was a great looking car.

Reply to
Carbon

I think that might be pushing it.

Not all that many, actually; about 160,000, but kilometres.

As for the Elan, I know what you mean. Have you ever seen the two side by side; the Miata is *huge* by comparison. IOW, while buying a Miata helps, it won't remove the desire to own an Elan completely.

Reply to
Alan Baker

What could possibly remove the desire to own an Elan?

Holy crap! We agree on something! :-)

Laters,

Pat

Reply to
pws

The Miata is way bigger. But it's still a small car in the big scheme of things. What the cars share is the same balance and proportions, the same commitment to doing things a certain way. However, what I'm looking for is a daily driver, one that I can get years of use out of without a lot of drama. The Elan is a truly beautiful car and I believe Chapman was a genius. It's just that in terms of safety and reliability the Miata is orders of magnitude ahead.

I'm also considering the s2000. Can I say that here?

Reply to
Carbon

We have people here driving SUV's, trading their miatas in on Corvettes, (and going back to the miata, heh-heh), and all sorts of other crazy stuff as well.

As long as you don't praise the BMW Z3, you are pretty safe. ;-)

Pat - (likes the S2000 as well)

Reply to
pws

Some people might even comment that the Z3 is a fine looking car!

Ya, I too love the Elan, recently saw a beautiful Elite (I think it's a hardtop version of the elan, can someone confirm this?) at a concours type of car show in Kemah TX, it was beautiful also.

As for S2k vs Miata, the Miata is much more focused on simplicity of design, construction and operation than the Honda. You don't have to be a master mechanic to do most things on the Miata, nor do you need a garage full of specialized tools and such. Another big plus on the miata is relatively low entry cost for you where you can afford to personalize your car a bit to be 'just the way you like it'. Used S2k's are finally coming down in price a bit though and you can hardly argue with their 'bulletproofness'.

What about the push cart (or the clubs) in the passenger space, that might allow you to carry the full gear.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I have an 03 Special Edition with a 6 speed and a limited slip diff. It is the 3rd Miata I've had through the years and I'll share my personal preferences....

I don't like the 6 speed - at all. It doesn't shift nearly as smoothly as the 5 speed and is more work in traffic for little gain. Nor do I like the fabric top (vs. vinyl) - it stretches as you drive, leaving it droopy and wrinkled after only 10-15 miles. Also, though I've babied it during washings, worn marks are showing up over the ribs. Then, I prefer the cloth upholstery over the leather. With the leather, my butt tends to slip around in corners while I feel more "planted" with the cloth seats. Also, there is a tendency for the leather to wear from getting in and out (there is a service bulletin on this at miata.net). Finally, the only times I've noticed a difference in having a limited slip diff have been on the sand at Daytona Beach and when I've been a little lead-footed in the rain. As for space, it is amazing what you can carry in such a small car. On occasion, I've carried 2x4s, 3 bags of mortar, and even

10' lengths of PVC pipe!

If you do decide on a Miata, I recommend replacing the plug wires and putting Redline MTL in the transmission.

I hope this helps. The Miata is a great car - reliable and a whole lot of fun.

Reply to
BCRandy

If you are referring to the impossibly small late 1950's Elite, no, not really. The Elite was an all fiberglass (with a certain amount of steel for mounting points) monocoque chassis, which proved too expensive to manufacture and with the technology of the day, insufficiently reliable (imagine saying that about a Lotus!). It was a gorgeous little car, though.

The Elan was the vehicle that Chapman designed to replace the Elite. It had a backbone chassis formed from simple sheet steel over which the body work hung like a saddle. Not only was this easy to construct and relatively durable (watch out for rust), but it was easy for owners to have replaced should the need develop (watch out for rust).

Hell, you can get most of the parts to build your own new Elan today!

Reply to
Alan Baker

If you can get a cart in there with the clubs, I'll relocate my spare tire. As it is, with a 400cc driver, one must removed the driver from the bag to get a full set in the trunk (spare tire or not). I haven't heard if one can get a 460cc driver into a Miata (probably). I put my cart in the passenger seat and if I travel with luggage to play, I forego the cart.

Jeff '91 Mariner

Reply to
jeff.remson

But NEVER forego the Miata !!

Reply to
Remove This

I guess I would have automatically gone for the leather, the 6-speed and the limited slip, but your arguments are compelling. I didn't even know the Miata came with two different tops, but it's good to know. Sounds like the base Miata might be the one to get. Very useful advice, thanks.

Reply to
Carbon

Guess I will sound off on this topic - First Miata I had was a 1995 Leather - It had leather seats and about all the options short of the sport suspension and limited slip differential. It was also an automatic - I loved it. Had low miles on it (35K) vinyl soft top, and plastic rear window. Drove it for about three years. Put 20K miles on it. Replaced the plugs, wires, radiator, hoses and thermostat. Added an alarm system, remote door locks, foglights, a grill. It was a great car. The leather on the drivers seat, along the bolster where the seatbelt is did show some wear. Every leather Miata I saw in the NA series did this - When the 2005 NC came out, I looked at one and tried to convince myself that I liked it. My wife did - she loved it. What took my heart and my money was a 2005 LS - Leather, Cloth top, Sport suspension, limited slip differential, everything except the compass/temperature inside mirror (which I added) and the satellite radio. I love it - probably a little more than my first one. I don't have to unzip the rear window, or put the pool noodle in to put the top down, I just unlatch it and drop it. Cloth top - I think I would prefer the vinyl, only because of the difference in care that the cloth requires. I use a 303 Protectorant on it about twice a year. I don't think that you can go wrong with any Miata. Just find one that "talks" to you. You'll know when you find it. BTW, my 1995 sold two hours after I left it on the dealers lot. Had not been prepped yet. Course it was immaculate when I left it - The guy that bought it had previously owned two others and was looking for another one - He loves it -

Carbon wrote:

Reply to
mickey53usa

You Betcha!

Reply to
jeff.remson

I'm on my second Miata, a 96 M Edition with leather, alarm, Torsen diff, and the 15" wheels (which I immediately swapped out for the 14" aluminum wheels). This one has only 48K miles (bought it less than two years ago with 32K), and with the exception of the clutch slave / master cylinders needing to be replaced due to leaks, and replacing the alarm control box after a battery change, has been bulletproof.

My first one was a 91 white, base model (fastest color), but without a Torsen diff. The difference between the viscous limited slip and the Torsen is significant; autocrossing the white one would spin the inside tire accelerating out of turns, while the 96 M just hooks up and goes. Have had both a 1.6 and a 1.8, I'd go for a 1.8 NA any time, as long as it was in fabulous condition. With over 400,000 built, you can afford to be selective.

Good luck! Keith Monteith '96 M Edition

Reply to
Keith Monteith